Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHackmann

SB Live owners w/crackling: try this

I agree with Ronin...Buy cheap equipment and you have problems. If you are a IT or professional you are doing your company a diservice by buy cheap junk..... ha ha at you!

PS: I have been using the same old SB Live card I have owned for three years... ha ha

How exactly does one go about buying a "cheap junk" sblive? Or maybe you mean supermicro makes junk, or intel? I mean, these are the people who are having problems with SBlive also...

:}

You are correct that most of those compaines make good products...however not all products work together. Knowing which products that work the best with each other is the real trick. We keep it smiple and never have any hardware issues.

I've got a pretty damned standard mobo, an AOpen AX6BC with an Intel P3-550, not overclocked, and 100% stable. I can definately say it's not a VIA/SIS/ALi only problem.

My SB Live! works perfectly under Win9x but crackles under 2000. Nothing too major, only notice it about once every couple of hours. I'd list my whole spec but the problem happens with just my ATI graphics card the SB Live in it as well.

The best giveaway of the problem is to use Winamp for a few minutes, pause it, then make explorer 'beep' at you somehow. It sounds as if the buffer has been corrupted.

And Ronin, you are indeed of no help at all, go brag in another forum.

Creative have acknowledged that their liveware drivers are broken on SMP based machines in windows 2000. Are those expensive dual boards cheap junk? No... Creatives drivers are junk, that has been the problem time and again. So don't automatically assume that because someone is having a problem its because they bought bargain basement components. Win2k support is spotty for *many* manufacturers who make very high quality hardware.

Ning

We use Abit or Asus MB, W2K, SBL no problems at all....Maybe it is worth $120 to try. Hope this helps.

The manufacturer of the board makes next to no difference (unless they've added some 'extras', eg. BE6). The chipset is important, I'm using a standard Intel BX based board, and have had no problems or issues with it at all.

Since my SB Live works perfectly under the Win9x kernel I see no reason why people keep believing it's a hardware problem (SMP issues aside).

My boards linked up to a pretty decent hi-fi system too, so I might be hearing something you guys don't on your ****e PC-World desktop speakers.

It's down to one of two things I reckon, either a PCI latency problem (powerstrip FAQ has info about this) where Win2K is changing the latency of the video and/or audio boards. Or it's a driver issue, specifically in the buffer I think, might be a problem with DMA transfers.

Read my previous post on how to see if you've got the same problem. Going into the sound control panel to force a 'beep' works too, remember to try it with Winamp *paused* after a few seconds.

Sorry if I'm talking complete bollocks, I wouldn't be suprised if the different results are because of the many 'models' of SB Live!. Check out the .inf files, there's quite a few. wink