Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GHackmann

SB Live owners w/crackling: try this

This is probably the stupidest possible solution for fixing SB Live! sound crackling problems, but it worked for me. Open up your volume control, and mute PC Speaker. As soon as I did that, the crackling faded away and never came back.

I'd like to know if this works on other computers, or if mine is smoking crack.

hehe now that is strange isnt it? i had pulled my pc speaker long time ago perhaps why i never suffered the crackling in first place?

I never had the pc speaker enabled, and never had problems until the liveware3 drivers came out. now I have crackling and pc speaker is muted

I noticed that the Live! puts out a lot more juice than other cards such as the Quadzilla. I keep the Live's volume setting really low to prevent distortion.

BacMan

You know how i stop my friends crackling on his SBLive, If you take a magnet and rub it against the card, it totally stops, but now we can't figure out why the card won't work. Umm,, also his harddrive is starting to act funny. It's all wierd. Oh well

I'm not saying it's not a strange way of fixing the problem, but I was mostly curious to see if anybody else could fix their crackling problems the way I did.

Note: muting the "PC Speaker" in the Windows/SB Live mixer does not mean muting the SB Live's speakers. (I hope nobody thought that I was suggesting that muting their sound card is a great solution . . .) It means muting the SB Live's redirection of the PC internal beeper (which I never got to work anyway). Strange that muting it would fix my problem, but hey, I'm not complaining.

hmmm.... i have had crackling with the first liveware drivers and i still have it with liveware 3 in win2k. but i dont have it in liveware 3 for win98. strange.... also my pc speaker is muted... i supose i will try unplugging it. maybe that'll do something. but it seems to only happen if im multitasking alot of stuff or in cut scenes in games, which i thought was strange.... maybe its because there are more voices at those times but it doesnt really happen in 20 player tfc games when stuff's flying all over the place. smile ....hmmmm....

I wanted to mute the PC Speaker, but as I open the play control I saw that PC Speaker was already muted.

Thats not THE solution, but I thougt if I could teach my computer to smoke crack it might help?!

u get the same problem with both sblive and vortex 2 - i've tested.

bug micro****

u get the same problem with both sblive and vortex 2 - i've tested.

bug micro****

i think the problem is caused by the fact that the new drivers are WDM and are about as hardware accelerated as a ****e. The crackling only occurs if there is movement on the screen, be that the spectrum analyser on winamp (turn that off and it goes away), clicking the start menu, or playing a DVD. So someone needs to use there brain and go back to the good old VXD.

I have never,never,never had any problems with my SB Live card. That's the strange thing don't you think? Not everyone is having problems.

------------------

My Windows 2000 System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

Onboard Intel 82559 NIC

512 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

1 - Maxtor 60 Gig (IDE)

SB Live Platinum

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hercules Geforce 2 64meg

Dual V2 Cards, for D2

Viewsonic PF815 22" Monitor

My Win ME System:

PIII 733

Asus P3C4X MB

256 Megs PC133 Mem

Adaptec U2W Scsi Card

1 - 9 Gig Cheetah 10K

48x IDE CD-Rom

CL Geforce DDR

ESS 1371 Sound Card

No probs here....mabye it's you guy's VIA chipset? Try moving the sound card to a difference PCI slot and/or underclocking.

I get that sound with my SB PCI64, most of it comes from the CDROM analogue cable, and the other outputs that are not on the mixer panel. On the PCB there is the tracks and pins for another MPC connector. When using BeOS, the slider to mute this is shown, and when it is muted with all other unnecessary lines, the noise goes away. Also the noise is made worse by having the card output volume low, and the amp volume high.

Hey...I have an SBLIVE in one PC, but this question regards the other soundcard in the other PC(Auread 3D based Diamond S90), and BeOS. My volume has one setting in BeOS-TOO DAMNED LOUD!. Where do I get a slider to adjust my volume?

Quote:
Originally posted by yakkob:
Ronin, I have told you already..

SHUT THE **** UP !

What the hell was that for?

I think it is because, IMHO, every time some one on this board posts with a legitimate problem, you seem to pop up and interject a single line of "well, my system works great!", followed by a page long signature. You offer no help to the people who are asking for it. Your system specs never match those of the people asking for help, so your comment is more than irrelevant, it seems trite and rather insulting. And quite frankly, it seems like you are rubbing it in the faces of people who are legitimately in need of solutions to their problems from people who have concrete advice.

My personal favorite is how you pipe up all the time with regards to the SBLive and how it works in your setup, even though the problems people are discussing are now openly acknowledged by Creative Labs in their newsgroup and on their website FAQ. I mean, I am sure 1000's of people have these products working, but it is the people who do not that are looking for assistance from the experts on this board.

In that light, these posts seem self-serving, providing no help, relief, or support to the original poster or the people who are actually trying to help with the problem.

My apologies for wasting bandwidth in this thread.

:}

And as I have said a million times before. The problems people are having are not related directly to one piece of hardware. My point has always been that if the majority or people are not having problems then your focus needs to be on what hardware you have in your system. There is no way for creative to make drivers that will work with every combination you people throw at there sound cards. Taking a look at what hardware you have in your system and what other people have with a problem like this is the best way to go. I would say that most of the problems that people are having are motherboard related. The reason I say my **** always works is because I do research before I buy somthing. If you buy a half-ass mb then you are going to have a problem somewhere down the road. I would recomend people stick with Abit,Asus,Tyan,Supermicro, something along those lines. Borrow other people system specs and put them to use making your **** work right. If you think by posting a message on this BB that someone is going to have some magical fix to your sound problems or any other hardware problem you are just plain stupid. Creative and all other hardware makers are not reading these post going ok we need to modify the drivers to work with this guys MB.

If you can't get something to work then find something that will. I'm sorry for posting my system specs, maybe I like the fact that I have worked very hard for what I have and rubbing it in others faces is not what I have in mind. The frustration level people have here regarding there hardware problems is insane. Find something else that works or quit your *****in because it's not going to change a thing.

I think it is because, IMHO, every time some one on this board posts with a legitimate problem, you seem to pop up and interject a single line of "well, my system works great!", followed by a page long signature. You offer no help to the people who are asking for it. Your system specs never match those of the people asking for help, so your comment is more than irrelevant, it seems trite and rather insulting. And quite frankly, it seems like you are rubbing it in the faces of people who are legitimately in need of solutions to their problems from people who have concrete advice.

My personal favorite is how you pipe up all the time with regards to the SBLive and how it works in your setup, even though the problems people are discussing are now openly acknowledged by Creative Labs in their newsgroup and on their website FAQ. I mean, I am sure 1000's of people have these products working, but it is the people who do not that are looking for assistance from the experts on this board.

In that light, these posts seem self-serving, providing no help, relief, or support to the original poster or the people who are actually trying to help with the problem.

My apologies for wasting bandwidth in this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by DosFreak:
No probs here....mabye it's you guy's VIA chipset? Try moving the sound card to a difference PCI slot and/or underclocking.

hmmmmm.. see a pattern here Dragon-Lord

Perhaps he is pissed off at your obvious (and blatantly ignorant) arrogance, assuming that people "do not do their homework" before buying such gear. Many of the people on this site are IT managers and professionals. Many are acknowledged experts in the field. It doesn't mean they don't have problems...in fact, professionals learn by such threads as these...

I mean, I remember a thread on this very site wherein someone bought the exact same tyan mobo as you did (I am sure partly because you kept saying how great your system is) and was having problems that were clearly bios related. Your recommendation to him was as it has always been "gee, my system works great! teehee". He went to the Tyan website for help and found that Tyan mentioned major issues that matched his problems that were being addressed. Fortunately for you, you weren't experiencing them. That was good to know (for you) but didn't help him. Get the point?

You continue to miss the fact that people are running problematic systems under Win2K that run/ran flawlessly under Win98. That points to clearly driver, OS, bios issues with their gear. That is what a board like this, IMHO, is here to help with - advanced tech support for problematic issues.

So, you can point out how well your system works as often as you want, but it has long passed the point of being annoying, and I think the gentleman posting above had clearly reached the point of no return. hehe

So, I am not sure what *your* agenda is her, but myself and others are either looking for help and information, or offering what assistance we can to those who need it.

Peace,

ok i have to say that i do have a via MVP3 chipset running a k6-3. but what do u mean by underclocking - the cpu is overclocked from 450 to 500 but im thinking that ur talking about the pci bus right?

THe sound from my SBlive value is rather disappointing. In winamp the direct sound output is crap. With my SB64 it'll run at 100ms buffer w/ 1K blocks, thats the best it can go. No jumping, stuttering, or what so ever.

The sblive is far, far, worse. 300ms w/10k blocks, stuttering, lost sync (where the sound permenantly goes broken), and it skips when another song is started. frown Can't mix tunes with this. Still got to try the updates though. Winxx is even worse. (but its OK for games)

Beos Question... Yes there are a lot of cards that have the full raw gain enabled. If there is no option in the media server that seems to alter the gain then look around on the net @ www.benews.com, www.begroovy.com forums, and www.betips.net

this one isn't for you smilehttp://www.betips.net/cgi-bin/chunga.pl?ID=tip482

Too complicated http://www.betips.net/cgi-bin/chunga.pl?ID=tip187