Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gambler FEX online

Coppermine in old BX board?

I have an old ASUS P2B-DS of an motherboard and am saving pennies for hopefully a CPU upgrade.

Can I stick one of them new coppermine in this thing? And two even?

I can barely afford in a month a brand new P3 800/100 coppermine SLOT-1 CPU.

I guess I at least need bios upgrade, my P2B-DS is a late revision.

Can it work? OR am I shooting for stars?

thx

check their website...they should say what the mobo can handle w/ the latest bio...it is usually a matter of the mobo being able to adjust the voltage to the setting of the coppermines... http://www.asus.com/Products/Techref/Cpu/Coppermine/index.html

hope this helps...it depends on your revision, but w/ a bios update, some of them do support coppermines...

[This message has been edited by devils advocate (edited 17 August 2000).]

Be careful with a coppermine in a P2-B. I got my Dad a Slot1 600E and it wouldn't POST. After about an hour of troubleshooting I looked on the web. I came across an article where someone was having the same problem (wish I still had the link but if you search you should be able to find it).

Anyway, the solution was to use a FC-PGA CPU in a Slocket where you could manually boost the voltage. Luckily I had a 600E FC-PGA in an IWill slocket in one of my machines so I traded him (and got a cB0 in the process). I bumped the voltage to 1.8 (it had a Golden Orb on it so I wasn't concerned about heat) via the jumpers and it POSTed right up.

Rob

Oops - Double post! smile

[This message has been edited by Robor (edited 17 August 2000).]

Thank you fgor the information it was very useful.

Score Baby!

My motherboard revision is R.06 and according to Asus graph it supports the CPU I want, the 100MHz FSB slot 1 version.

OK all I have to do now is find someone with same revision motherboard as I to be certain?

I have an Asus P2B-D motherboard which is the latest release using the 1012B bios version. I am running Dual PIII 700Mhz coppermines and they are working flawlessly. I was even able to crank up the FSB to 133MHz putting them at 933MHz!

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD

WD 20.5GB HDD

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

OK I guess that's it. It's printed Rev 1.06 on my motherboard and the multiplier goes all teh way up to 8.0x

If I can I'll set the FSB to 112 (the highest it can go) and run them at 896.

Performance vice it should be not only because of higher clock speed but also since coppermine have on-die cache right? How much does that count?

I slapped them in, booted up, and BSOD. damn. Turning off Lv2 Cache made it work, Im now in Whistler typing this. I'll try a BIOS downgrade from this 1013 beta 03 bios to the one that was reported successfully.

Okeydokey, I had a slight overclock at the beginning (112 fsb) but now I took it down to regular speed. Works fine yay! I'll try clock it up to 106 or something but I didn't know overclocking could cause bluescreens. Probably the L2 cache that dropped some bytes in their high speed.

Uhm is anybody reading this?