Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarU

Windows ME final

Hey guys, i was just wondering what your thoughts were on the new Windows ME. Is it better than 98SE?? If so, what new features does it hold and how is it better?? I am think on upgrading but i want the low-down on the OS before i do anything.

Also, does any know where i can get the final?? Like, maybe an ISO or a warez version. I know its not released yet but i also heard that the final was completed and is out on the net now. Thanks in advance.

-HarU

Buy a MSDN Subscription and you can download it.

------------------

My Windows 2000 System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

Onboard Intel 82559 NIC

512 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

1 - Maxtor 60 Gig (IDE)

SB Live Platinum

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hercules Geforce 2 64meg

Dual V2 Cards, for D2

Viewsonic PF815 22" Monitor

My Win ME System:

PIII 733

Asus P3C4X MB

256 Megs PC133 Mem

Adaptec U2W Scsi Card

1 - 9 Gig Cheetah 10K

48x IDE CD-Rom

CL Geforce DDR

ESS 1371 Sound Card

I expect Win ME to be little different than the other systems based around the old dos and win95 kernal i.e prone to crashes etc. My advice - stick to Win 2K it works and works very well - Yes I know it doesn't quite have the hardware support of the Win 98 range, but I'd swap support for stability any day. Futhermore, the glitzy bits bolted onto ME - Media player 7 etc. are in most part avalible for Win 2K anyway.

I went to Microsoft Training so I got a free windows ME. Thats how I got win2k too... I tried out Win ME and All it seems to be is windows 98 3rd edition. I still get the BSOD quite often. It does play games a little better, and theres more driver support since you can just use 98 drivers. But if you want different performance or are looking for some kind of gain other than a cute GUI.... Stay with win 98 if you are running that. And if you are thinking of going from win2k to ME you deserve to be shot.

-Super

------------------

System Specs:

Abit BX133 Raid

Celeron2 600@900

256 sdram

2 30 gig ata 100 in raid 0 form.

Geforce 2 GTS

Sblive etc etc...

Win Me really does suck but I keep it around for some stuff like extracting my warez (the stuff where you need to run those sketchy batch files) and playing my games. So I guess I use Win Me about 1% of the time i use my comp the other 99% is Whistler.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 / Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs PC133 Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

Well, thx guys, sounds like it may be an eventual replacement for win98SE. But definately won't replace win2k. I probably won't bother with it until it "officially" gets released to the retailers. Thx for the input.

-HarU

see we can talk about warez we just can't post links which is by far understandable since the guys at ntcompatible dont want to have M$ barging in their house at 3 AM while they are in bed with the wife doing well...ya know.

I looked around and found an interesting article on page: http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/

That tells you how to boot in Real Time DOS under Windows Millenium (they told it couldn't be done...).

Now the next step....What about letting him execute the autoexec.bat again? I found that deleting the bootfile at every start improved DRAMATICALLY the stability of Win98 (and SE), But I can't find the manner of doing it under WinME...bleach!

I have had Both the final version of Me and a beta version. I have foiund that Me Final was less stable than the Beta .. " dont ask me why " it would crash my Half Life server 7 outta 10 times and freeze up while doing little things.. The major Difference in Me is internal support for IEEE

and various Video enhancements.. i had the final running for about a month. and after i got fed up with it i reinstalled Win 2k ...

i think the reason the Beta was more stable was that it wasnt tweaked for speed or anything .. i figure the Final Edition compromises stability for speed... but those are my thought on it : )

Sparkhard