Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MidKnight

UltraDMA66 Problems

Hello

I am having a serious problem with my machine, the problem is that am having allot of trouble copying/moving data from one partition to another.

Everytime I do it, the system takes about 2-5 seconds before I get a blue screen, on this screen, the first line contains allot of numbers, the second line say's

F081A7BE Base at F0818000 DateStamp 38E5D939 - HPT366.sys

(I think that is pretty correct, as it is very quick before some other writing then almost straight away the systems reboots)

If I let the system reboot, it will hang not long after the DMA card loads, so the only way the boot the machine after this crash is to power it down, and power it back on again.

The strange thing is, I run 3 HDD, if I copy/move data from other drives all is ok *so far*, so I think it has only to do with drive number 1, which is my bootdrive (check system Spec's)

Below is an event log that will show you all the errors this card is giving on drive 1, which I might add, this drive is only about 2 weeks old.

I have the very latest drivers, and I have reinstalled the drivers, but nothing seems to work, can you please help.

Thankyou

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

---Custom Built---

450 Pentium II

Octek Rhino II BX-ATXE Motherboard

Windows 2000 Professional (SP1)

DX8 Beta

128MB PC100 SDRAM

ToPower - Top 350SSA - 350WATT Power supply

CTX 17-Group 17inch Monitor .28pitch

ASUS GeForce 256 V6800 DDR 32MB

SoundBlaster PCI128

LifeView FlyVideo98 PCI TV/Capture card

HighPoint Technology UltraDMA 66 HPT366 Host SCSI Controller

Quantum Fireball LM - 20.5GIG **UltraDMA Primary Master** <C: 7.42GIG<>I: 11.71GIG>

Quantum Fireball CX20 - 20.4GIG **UltarDMA Primary Slave** <D:7.30GIG<>G:11.71GIG>

Quantum Fireball CR8 - 8.4GIG **UltraDMA Secondary Master** <E:7.87GIG>

Creative CD4020E 40X CD-Rom **IDE Primary Master**

Yamaha CRW4416E 4x4x16 CDRW **IDE Secondary Master**

Imation LS-120 Superdisk Drive **IDE Secondary Slave**

Standard 51/2 Floppy Disk Drive

Intel EtherExpress PRO/10 ISA Network Adaptor

Logitech Internet Keyboard

Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer Optical (Intellipoint)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/08/2000 1:01:13 AM HPT366 Warning None 26 N/A MDK The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\HPT3662 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

12/08/2000 12:59:19 AM Disk Warning None 51 N/A MDK An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 11 August 2000).]

First, it would be really nice if you would edit your message to only show the non-duplicate event log errors. You could put the number of times that the event showed up in parantheses beside the actual error. Example, (20X).

Second, your computer is stating that the HighPoint controller has an old/out of date BIOS - have you updated this to the latest release.

Third, I would check the firmware of that first Quantumm drive to make sure that it is up to date, also.

I really can't help you past that, since the Promise Ultra66, and Ultra100 adapters that I use/used have given me absolutely no grief and only great performance.

HTH.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Just as a follow up to the above post.

The latest version of the BIOS for your controller card is 1.25, the latest Win2k drivers are also 1.25.

I have an ABit BE6-II motherboard with this controller integrated, running 2 IBM drives (One of each chanel) and I can honestly say I have had no problems at all with this controller.

Check the BIOS on the controller and as the guy above said, the Firmware on your HD.

Win2000 is very very picky about Firmware.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

I have the lastest drivers installed for this card, and i just flashed the BIOS of the DMA card 5 minutes ago, and still no luck.

I checked the Quantum site looking for firmware updates, but couldn't find anything there. If anyone knows where abouts i can find the firmware updates for the Quantum LM, CX and CR series HDD, could you send them in please, i would be very greatfull. Sorry about posting in such a long post too, i actually didn't relise it was that long.

Thanks

Frist Thur this junk out out

HighPoint Technology UltraDMA 66 HPT366 Host SCSI Controller & get a Real IDE Controller Promise Ultra66

I have the ABIT BE6 v1. which uses the hpt366 ATA66 controller teamed up with a 20.5G Quantum LM. I upgraded the the motherboard bios which of course also upgrades the ATA66 controller to v 1.25. I also upgraded the Win2k drivers to 1.25. Had major problems right after that with Win2k, I would get hpt366.sys blue screens. Had to re-install and guess what. Couldnt even get Win2k back on. I had missing file error messages and Blue screens on install. Nothing at all wrong with the original Win2k Pro CD. I had to switch over to ATA33 port to get it to work.

This is a problematic ATA66 controller. It seems whatever Abit or Highpoint do to fix it makes it worse.

For the record right now I am using Win98SE (arghh!) and have no probs. I payed for ATA66 and I want to use it. When I get more time I will figure out for sure what is wrong.

I don't see what all the fuss is with the Highpoint controllers.

As I stated higher up I have had no problems what so ever with this integrated controller - hay maybe I've just been lucky.

Hardly a great response to the guy 'Rip out your controller and buy another one'

OK so the Promise controllers are the industry leaders on ATA-66, but that doesn't automatically mean you should rip out any other make.

Adaptec are the industry leaders on SCSI cards, doesn't mean I immediately tell people to rip their Diamond SCSI cards out.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 640MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

This may sound silly, but check your 80-pin cable has no chinks (sharp bends), and is installed the correct way. long bit to motherboard (usually blue), grey middle connector (master), short gap to black connector (secondary).

Quote:
Originally posted by MidKnight:
Hello
I am having a serious problem with my machine, the problem is that am having allot of trouble copying/moving data from one partition to another.

Everytime I do it, the system takes about 2-5 seconds before I get a blue screen, on this screen, the first line contains allot of numbers, the second line say's

F081A7BE Base at F0818000 DateStamp 38E5D939 - HPT366.sys

(I think that is pretty correct, as it is very quick before some other writing then almost straight away the systems reboots)

If I let the system reboot, it will hang not long after the DMA card loads, so the only way the boot the machine after this crash is to power it down, and power it back on again.

The strange thing is, I run 3 HDD, if I copy/move data from other drives all is ok *so far*, so I think it has only to do with drive number 1, which is my bootdrive (check system Spec's)

Below is an event log that will show you all the errors this card is giving on drive 1, which I might add, this drive is only about 2 weeks old.

I have the very latest drivers, and I have reinstalled the drivers, but nothing seems to work, can you please help.

Thankyou

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
---Custom Built---
450 Pentium II
Octek Rhino II BX-ATXE Motherboard
Windows 2000 Professional (SP1)
DX8 Beta
128MB PC100 SDRAM
ToPower - Top 350SSA - 350WATT Power supply
CTX 17-Group 17inch Monitor .28pitch
ASUS GeForce 256 V6800 DDR 32MB
SoundBlaster PCI128
LifeView FlyVideo98 PCI TV/Capture card
HighPoint Technology UltraDMA 66 HPT366 Host SCSI Controller
Quantum Fireball LM - 20.5GIG **UltraDMA Primary Master** <C: 7.42GIG<>I: 11.71GIG>
Quantum Fireball CX20 - 20.4GIG **UltarDMA Primary Slave** <D:7.30GIG<>G:11.71GIG>
Quantum Fireball CR8 - 8.4GIG **UltraDMA Secondary Master** <E:7.87GIG>
Creative CD4020E 40X CD-Rom **IDE Primary Master**
Yamaha CRW4416E 4x4x16 CDRW **IDE Secondary Master**
Imation LS-120 Superdisk Drive **IDE Secondary Slave**
Standard 51/2 Floppy Disk Drive
Intel EtherExpress PRO/10 ISA Network Adaptor
Logitech Internet Keyboard
Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer Optical (Intellipoint)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It's your Highpoint Driver. Go to the highpoint site and download the new driver for w2k. That's all.