Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shrink

Promise Ultra100 & Windows 2000 Pro SP1

I just got the card today. I have an Abit BE6-II and had 2 hd's on the hpt366 and am running windows 2000 pro with SP1. I first installed the card in ide slot 5 with the hpt enabled. Rebooted and loaded the 1.0 drivers. Instead of restarting then, I removed the hpt366 from device manager. So far no problem...

I then shut down, disconnected the hd's from the hpt366 and connected them to separate channels on the ata100 card with the system drive on the first channel and then restarted the computer, went into the bios and disabled the hpt366 controller- then restarted the computer.

Windows 2000 booted just fine to the GUI, logged me in, etc... and as the remainder of the programs were loaded from device manager, BANG - bsod - kmode exception caused by ntfs.sys (I am using fat32 on both hard drives).

I then rebooted the computer and windows 2000 would not restart as it indicated that a file (sorry, forgot the name) would not load because it was corrupted or missing. I had not created ERD's (that'll learn me - lol), but decided to go back to the hpt366's and restore the system drive using Ghost.

The only thing that I figure could have caused this was the fact that the system drive had been repartitioned into 2 partitions by Partition Magic some time ago (with no difficulties) and there are apparently problems with partition magic - though I figured that this pertained to using Partition Magic when the drive was connected to the Promise controller. One other thing could be the fact that I have a usr sportster voice in the isa slot.

Aside from the config I mentioned, I have a PIII-650, 192mb pc100, 2 quantum fireball kx hd's, a voodoo3 agp, wintv in the first pci slot, and sblive in the second pci slot, and a 3com NIC in the 4th slot.

I would appreciate any advice you folks might be able to provide. Thanks in advance!

Shrink

Sorry Shrink, this is not a post to help you out, rather it's a post that I'm about to be in the same boat: I ordered a Promise Ultra100 yesterday.

I'm moving from a Promise Ultra66 with a 20.5GB to the Promise Ultra100 with a new 30.6GB drive. I'm hoping to use PowerQuest DriveCopy to copy the contents of the 20GB to the 30GB and then use PowerQuest Partition Magic to resize the copied partitions to match the new hd size.

Any suggestions on the exact transformation sequence?

Hoping for help!

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Byron - if I knew i'd tell you :-)

Check out Promise's website concerning disk overlay utilities, in addition to Partition Magic. There are apparently problems with partition magic and this controller that are currently being worked out. However, they are pretty vague about it. I am going to try a few different things this evening and will post if I find a way of getting it to work.

Shrink

Shrink the Promise Ultra100 & Ultra66 work like SCSI card which don't use int13 so it best to put it on IRQ11 or PCI slot2.

IRQ Number Device

15 3dfx Voodoo5

15 Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Video Driver

15 Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Audio Driver

14 Primary IDE Channel for my (CDROM)

13 Numeric data processor

12 Free

11 Win2000 Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller

10 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)

9 Free

8 System CMOS/real time clock

7 Printer Port (LPT1)

6 Standard floppy disk controller

5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

5 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter

4 Free

3 Free

2 System CMOS/real time clock

1 PC/AT PS/2 Keyboard (84-Key)

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 05 August 2000).]

Thanks but the card just doesn't work. I tried switching it to the first pci slot - even fdisk'ed and reformatted the drive while it was connected to the ultra100, but I get debug errors when attempting to install Windows 2000. This card is going back to the store :-(

Shrink

what drive are you useing I hope it B19 what debug error ? wirte it down.

SHS - sorry but I don't want to rip my system apart again to get the debug message <g>. I have a quantum fireball KX 20gig hd. It was a wierd message and I received it on 4 separate attempts at rebooting - wierd because it started with "debug error" (or something to that effect) followed by random text and ascii characters with spaces in between and ran about 5 lines. Nothing intelligeble. Why do you ask? I also copied the i386 dir to my hd and attempted to run winnt.exe but it wouldn't even run (just hung the computer).

Shrink

Shrink, I may be just a tad bit better off than you. I contacted Promise support and was told that since the Ultra100 and Ultra66 use the same drivers, that I should be able to swap out the Ultra66 for the Ultra100 without any issues.

Crossing my fingers... (and waiting for the IBM drive to get here - it's due Wednesday, while the Ultra100 got here this morning.)

I'll let you know how it goes.

they use the same drivers??? I wish I knew that. Promise tech support never returned my email :-( Let me know how it goes - though I am pretty sure I have a defective card.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I'm running a Promise ATA100 controller card under 2k with no problems at all I have 2 IBM drives, both as masters on the card.

------------------

System:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700mHz Slot 1

256 mb ram

30.7G ATA100 IBM HDD(2)

Promise ATA100 Controller

Matrox Millenium G400 MAX

CD CDR (all masters)

19" Syncmaster (.20 dpp)

Yeah, we know that it works.... (We being Shrink and I.)

I got my Ultra100 swapped in with the Ultra66 with a minimum of hassle, and only two reboots. I kept Shrink up to date on what I was doing, so it really looks like his Ultra100 was bad in the first place.

Later.