Compatible Support Forums
archangeljenn

USB external drives not showing up in My Computer

This is so strange. My USB external drives(ipod and external hard drives) are not showing up in My computer, therefore I can't access them through My Computer. I see them in Device Manager, and have tried to update drivers to no avail...not that that is the problem...My computer came back from HP(hate them!) not that long ago, and never has been the same...that's besides the point I guess...but something has not been done possibly in Computer Management(not sure)((not advanced enough to mess with that on my own without instruction)) or am I really off base here? Please help a desperate women in need!!! lol

If you have TweakUI installed, the drive letters may be hidden.

Do this:

Start, Control Panel, TweakUI, My Computer Tab, verify that the drive letters you are looking for are checked. If not check them.

Good Luck

after rebuilding my pc, my usb's in the back didn't work and the only thing i put back different was a plug in the motherboard. on my particular motherboard, there's 3 plugs and i couldn't remember which one i had it in the first time but when it didn't work, i used one of the other ones, rebooted, then it was fine.