Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Beeker50

OT-Best Notebook Computer to get?

I know that this is way OT for this Forum, but, everyone here has such good information and answers, I figured that it would be a good place to ask about a Notebook. Sorry, if this makes anyone mad.

I am looking into getting a new Notebook/laptop. I am looking for a system with the following features;

P3 500-600 Mhz

64-128mc ram, DVD Drive, 13"-14" Active Matrix screen, mouse pad(no eraserhead control)will run Win2K Pro(if possible, not a must) price range of up to $2300.00

I was looking at the Sony Vaio Notebooks, does anyone have any good knowledge of them? Are they good, reliable, dependable, a quality product? Can someone recommend some other goog brands of notebooks with the above features. How are the HP Omnibooks? Or the Compaq Notebooks? All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance for all replies.

Are their any good sites to read unbiased reviews of Notebooks?

------------------

AsusK7V,700AMD,Adapt29160

2- Cheatah 18XL,256mb MicronPC133,Asus V6600Deluxe, Plex 12/4/32,Plex 40X UltraPlexWide,Pioneer16X DVD,Zip250,Holly+,SB Live Plat,Win TV-D,FullTower w/9 fans & 2HD coolers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beeker50:
I know that this is way OT for this Forum, but, everyone here has such good information and answers, I figured that it would be a good place to ask about a Notebook. Sorry, if this makes anyone mad.
I am looking into getting a new Notebook/laptop. I am looking for a system with the following features;
P3 500-600 Mhz
64-128mc ram, DVD Drive, 13"-14" Active Matrix screen, mouse pad(no eraserhead control)will run Win2K Pro(if possible, not a must) price range of up to 00.00
I was looking at the Sony Vaio Notebooks, does anyone have any good knowledge of them? Are they good, reliable, dependable, a quality product? Can someone recommend some other goog brands of notebooks with the above features. How are the HP Omnibooks? Or the Compaq Notebooks? All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance for all replies.
Are their any good sites to read unbiased reviews of Notebooks?

Beeker50,
Look at the IBM Think Pad A20. They have the features you want and have suprisingly good prices IMHO. I think it is the latest copy of PC Mag that has a review on all the different notebooks.
HTH
Curtis

Beeker50,

Look at the IBM Think Pad A20. They have the features you want and have suprisingly good prices IMHO. I think it is the latest copy of PC Mag that has a review on all the different notebooks.

HTH

Curtis

IBM is good...but Toshiba is MUCH better in general quality--they were the first computer company to certify their computers, from Satellite up, as Win2k Compatible.

Compaq still won't acknowledge W2K

------------------

OBSIDIAN (Win2k System)

---Custom Built---

AMD Athlon 750(model 2) retail (Slot A)

Asus K7V Mobo BIOS revision 1007-02c(beta)

PNY 288(295 listed)MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128 & 1x32)

A-Top 901 Case & 300W Athlon Approved Power Supply

3 Internal 80mm fans

CL SB Live! X-Gamer Liveware 3 Drivers-only

CL GB Annhilator Pro

Windows 2000 Advanced Server (SP1)

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

INFERNO (Win9x(ME) and Linux System)

---Compaq Presario 5600i---

PIII 500(498 listed) (Pre CuMine)

Compaq 128(131 listed)MB RAM

Seagate 1GB and either a 3.2GB or 4GB Hdd

ATI Xpert 98 video card

Sonic Impact S90

Intel Onboard and (Unknown) ISA Ethernet cards

Mandrake 7.1

PC Concepts AT-to-Ps2 Keyboard

Ps2 Mouse

Compaq JBL Speakers

I looked at the Toshiba since our other notebooks are Toshiba and have had very good luck with them . This time I didn't feel they had the right mix of components for my needs.

Curtis