Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Unkoon2000

Is this really worth it....

Well, I'm getting a iNTEL Pentium Celeron "Coppermine 128" running at 600mhz.

But I have a 466 mhz overclocked at 525mhz right now.

You can overclock the 600mhz to 945mhz though. And I'll get SSE-instructions built into the processor.

I don't know if it's worth it. It's around $120, but you have to include a expensive heatsink and fan, and a FC-PGA adapter. It equals around $160..

Do you people think it's good?

Nope, Cel II at 66 FSB sucks!!!!

Go for Duron or PIII.

And I dont think that it will run from 600 to 945Mhz, too much!!!

"Are you insane ? Stop doing that now !!!!"

Line from Half-Life.

laugh

Cel2 might suck if anyone actually ran it at 66Mhz bus. But of course nobody actually does. I say go for it. I have a 566@875Mhz. It is sweet for gaming. It is so much easier to just put in a new chip rather than go through the hassle and expense of a new motherboard/CPU/fan and probably case/power supply with an AMD.

If you dont go with the Cel2 I would put a P3 into your motherboard if it supports it.

you can get a p3 700 for around $200 and it would be much better for you...256k full speed cache vs 128 mkes a dffrnce...also coppermines are very overclockable...my 650 goes to around 800mhz and my 80 goes to around 900mhz...i have heard a lot of people getting the 700's up to 900 and 933...anyways, there really isn't too much of a necessity to o/c @ that point...

As a reply to Devils advocate:

How on earth did you get your "80" up to 900??? Thats one X"#¤!% of a !"#¤!"# overclocking you have got there. smile

Turbo Grunkamoj

--------------------------------------------------------------

Who needs a replay button? History always repeats itself smile

--------------------------------------------------------------

"And I dont think that it will run from 600 to 945Mhz, too much!!!"

What? you are crazy, I've had my celeron 2 at 954 mhz for QUITE some time now, little over a week I think. And I am steady at 45 C w/ my golden orb cooler. 945 insane? by NO means. This processor kicks ASS.

-Super

OK, I've got a PIII 500E, and a sweet Soyo board that has tons of o/c options, but I'm hesitant to play with it, because with my old K6-2 450 [diff mobo], I could only go to 500 without major probs [in w98, couldn't touch anything once I switched over to 2000].

I've seen some sites that say I could get it up to ~800MHz, but I think that's an over kill. I was thinking ~650, does anyone think this is being too gun shy?

-bZj

------------------

- brian@infinitejones.com

Code:
==================             ===================Home built system:             Also, just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA                   AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA T82C694X]                 Intel 486 CPU[onboard sound]                40 MB RAMPIII 500E [flip chip]          500 MB Conner HddPNY 128 MB PC100 RAM           3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDStealth III S540               3com Etherlink II3com Etherlink III             Adaptec AHA-1545 SCSIQuantum Fireball 10.3 GB Hdd   [to host some files on:]HP A4331D 20" Monitor          1.3 GB internal SeagateWin2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   2 2 GB external Seagates[format => clean install]      Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]Covad DSL [shared]             pcAnywhere 9.2                               [so I can leave it in the closet]

down8...

if it is the copppermine, b/c of the "e", then o/c to 650, might be a little hard on the rest of the system...you would have to set your bus @ 130...give it a try if you want...there will be plenty of warning if it is too stressful...if it starts, but everything keeps crashing, then keep backing the bus down til its stable...a lot of people say they have to increase the core voltage a little