Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Irwin

No! Not a fried CPU - Someone comfort me! :(

OK.

I've just received my CPU from a friend in California. The CPU fan I bought from a local store didn't fit the CPU (P3 850 Slot 1/A whatever). I assembled my machine and was so eager to test the machine out.

So... I tested it minus the fan. Read on

Power Up!

Uh yea, video card information on monitor

w00p 256 MB mem scanned

- DELETE! -

hm... froze

hrm.

reset - not working

power button - not working

so i switched off the main supply, suspecting an overheat problem(after just 10 seconds?!?!?!?!)

then i went (oh nuts) the CPU center is so freakin hot.

i tried starting the system up again... this time... nothing displays on the monitor, except the monitor power saver (which is the case when the machine is started without the processor)

i was hurt ([censored]ually, nej)

i took it out, gave it a kiss and said, u'll be alright baby.

I took it to the local cemetry, oops, i meant store and asked them for help. They said they'll bring it to the supplier the next day to search for a suitable coffin, i mean heatsink + fan for it.

but still, this keeps me worried.

when the catostrophe occured, i couldn't spell nothing but i could feel heat.

Well? Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

Hey man there is a deadly difference for the cpu type ro be placed in a SLOT-A instead of a SLOT-1, the SLOT-A is only for AMD-K7 and derivates, SLOT-1 is only for PII-PIII and Celerons. So if your motherboard was for SLOT-A for AMD cpus, then you burn it.

But even like that, should not have even boot. Just smoke coming out....

You see the SLOT-A is totally reversed from the SLOT-1 and the electrical connections are different. So an AMD over a SLOT-1 is a no go, and a Intel over a SLOT-A is another no go.

Please in order to help you out, post the specs of your system, probabily you got the wrong FSB speed setup which caused a crash.

Greetings.

Yes it would help if we know what motherboard you got Irwin

One other thing check and DBL sure you bios can support 1.65v & can be sure check clock it must got 8.5 which = 8.5+100Mhz=850MHz,

That all it take for the center to get hot

Frist & Only rule alway's clear you bios before install new CPU or made Jumper match it clock setting "I beat you fried it now"

Or how about DON"T POWER ON YOUR PC WITH OUT A GOD DAMN HEATSINK/FAN!

dude, that p3850 gets very f**king hot with a huge piece of metal attached to it and a big fan blowing on it. What did you think would happen if you had nothing on it?

Perhaps I'm mistaken you had a heatsink but no fan? Or no heatsink/fan combo at all?

If it's the later kiss your cpu goodnight and your hard earned money goodbye(only if the store knows what you did)

Next time have " " this much more patience =)

no heatsink + no fan frown

i wanted to see if the system i've assembled even works.

The maximum i left my CPU on was for 30seconds man. it was burning hot alright.. but .. 30 seconds...

and i reckon i had it on for maybe 15-20seconds.

im using Asus P3V4X.

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?!?!?!? OH no frown

no heatsink + no fan frown

i wanted to see if the system i've assembled even works.

The maximum i left my CPU on was for 30seconds man. it was burning hot alright.. but .. 30 seconds...

and i reckon i had it on for maybe 15-20seconds.

im using Asus P3V4X.

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?!?!?!? OH no frown

On one of the overclocking sites (and I can't find it right now), some joker fried a 1GHz T-Bird in 8 seconds with a wrong fan/heatsink combo. Just something to think about.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I will be the first one here with negative comments.. but i gotta say it..

WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING?

for someone how doesn't know the diff between slot 1 and slot a to be building a computer from scratch, i can only say you deserve what you got. READ UP on something you "sorta know" before you waste some big bucks(at least it's big bucks to me).

Rule of thumb: If it going to cost more than your weekly paycheck, get smarter at it before you do it.

I'm really sorry, but it's true. You're a jackass.

/END RANT

/BEGIN FLAMES AGAINST ME

mr_yellow

EDIT:was considering removing the message but what the hell. it'll stay..

[This message has been edited by mr_yellow (edited 21 July 2000).]

will someone say at least something good? or nice?

are u telling me i've fried my CPU? " *100%*?

if i return it to intel, will they kind enough to give me another?

i am not a jackass, im just inexperienced.

damn, gimme a break

Hi.

Go to the store where you bought the CPU, try making them belive it was defect when you first got it from them...

It's your only chance.

And don't feel bad about lying, the store just send it to Intel and get it replaced with a new one..

// Toby

ok, it so happened that the supplier (a wholesaler) happened to be a friend of mine who again happened to be in America and im in australia.

he mentioned that intel has this machine to detect the reason of fault, and if it is due to overheating... tough luck he says.

im really ****ed frown

HAHA

I am just happen to be the one "his firend" who supply him the PIII 850 processor. I have nothing to say to you Irwin.... Yes, You are very "inexperience", and I hope you are no paying for it....

Take the mobo to lcoate computer store see if they can borrow you a cpu to test the mobo... If the mobo works, try to flesh the mobo with the latestest BIO I send you that will support 8.5 X multipiler to support PIII 850.

I don't think your CPU is fried. I have pick another Asus P3v4x mobo and put in a PIII 850. It did not have the correct reading on the screen. So I use a PIII 550 and flash the BIO. It works great with BIO version 1005.

Plz do not waste the CPU I choose for you taht will go over 1 GHz. Not all 850 can go over 1Ghz. Let me know smile

http://www.hardocp.com

This was the site that fried the Tbird 1 ghz in 8 seconds. And he was experienced at doing this kinda work.

Your p3 850 is D.E.A.D, you left it on almost 4 times as long as the tbird at Hard ocp was on. Intel will see that this cpu was overheated to hell and say tough sh*t for you. A new Motherbaord isn't going change that fact. I killed a p3 667 cause someone f**ked with the jumpers on the sloket adapter at work and it was set to 4.00 volts. It died in about 10-15 seconds and thats with a heatsink/fan on it. You took a p3 850 that with standard cooling cruises anywhere from 40-50 degrees C and ran it without anything at all. It's time to face the facts, the cpu is dead. The only hope you have is to return it and see if they will replace it.

Hey, Jdulmage I have to agree....

This is way worse than your DOS+Gaming post !!

Installing DOS 6.22 at least didn't cost you anything..

(I just HAD to do this, sorry..)

// Toby

No comforting from me...

I can sell ya an i486DX2(66mhz) if you'd like :P

This just serves as a reminder to the rest of us(so you were martyred...smile!) to check all the settings when we build our PCs.

------------------

BUILDING:

AMD Athlon 750 (Slot A)

Asus K7V Mobo

PNY 384 MB PC100 SDRAM

AT901 Case

CL SB Live! X-Gamer

CL GB Annhilator Pro

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Logitech Itouch Pro

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Quickcam Home(listed as WEB)

Logitech Soundman G1 Speakers

Intel 21143 Ethernet Adapter

Linux System(To be built)

PIII 500 (Pre CuMine)

PNY 32MB RAM (subject to change)

I.S.O Video Card(ATI?)

Sonic Impact S90

Mandrake 7.0 or RedHat 6.2

I.S.O Ps2 Keyboard and Mouse

Compaq JBL Speakers

*Great*

I'm going to the local store to fetch the CPU now with the heatsink + fan.

Well, i learned my lesson.

It's a good thing it is only a CPU.

It may have been other things that would cost $abcde

where a,b,c,d,e>0

or even hurt myself.

Hey silversaver, guess what... my dad was actually happy to hear that this happened.

rofl.

haha.. faggots, you really got me worried.

the CPU still runs fine smile but i still did learn my lesson.

All I have to say is you are the luckiest Motherf**ker in the world. =-)

That could have been a very expensive mistake. I'm amazed it's not dead but hey, get a good fan and overclock the hell out of it.

To whom it may concern:

Irwin, is that cpu you liquified an OEM or retail, additionally what is the warranty? Call the place of purchase and say your cpu is nonfunctional and see if they can hook you up with a new replacement under warranty. Additionally, I reckon you should NOT wrastle an alligator unless you know the alligator thinks. AKA, assembling a sophiticated pc system is not as easy assembling a lawn mower. You must thoroughly research the procedure and for compatibility. And whoever sold you that mb and cpu without telling you it was the wrong socket should be lynched.

Congrats on getting your cpu to work, but i'd still be pist someone sold you an incompatible motherboard.

[This message has been edited by REOE (edited 03 August 2000).]