Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
superand44

SP1

No problems at all during install and after reboot, everything is working great.

------------------

My Windows 2000 System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

Onboard Intel 82559 NIC

512 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

1 - Maxtor 60 Gig (IDE)

SB Live Platinum

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hercules Geforce 2 64meg

Dual V2 Cards, for D2

Viewsonic PF815 22" Monitor

My Win ME System:

PIII 733

Asus P3C4X MB

256 Megs PC133 Mem

Adaptec U2W Scsi Card

1 - 9 Gig Cheetah 10K

48x IDE CD-Rom

CL Geforce DDR

ESS 1371 Sound Card

SP1 addresses some reliability issues, numerous memory leaks, compatibility, STOP errors and the like.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/9/10.ASP

That goes to a *complete* list of the bugs fixed... However, I know there are additional fixes not on the list. For instance, D3D mode didn't work in Diablo 2 before SP1, and now it does. Actually, that could fall under a different line-item, but I didn't feel like reading about the 250 bugs...

All in all, the Service Pack will be more beneficial to server operators, however anyone can benefit from the security updates and other misc. enhancements.

Flawless installation here. Everything works after the fact on Windows 2000 Professional retail and Windows 2000 Server. I'm not one of those running a personal firewall, which appears to be the only consistent problem so far. I expect that those people will have their problems addressed by the firewall companies themselves.

So far, so good. Everything worked fine except Half-Life wouldn't connect to any servers. I had to reinstall my Detonator drivers again for my TNT2 card and Half-Life was back to normal smile.

I have taken note of some of the fixes so far:

(1) When trying to play Alien vs. Preditor my buttons would stay active. This has been referred to as the sticky key problem. After the update, the game worked perfectly.

(2) After installing the Detonator 5.32 drivers again on my TNT2, I no longer have to use the registry fix to get Q2 running in OpenGL. I think the reason that the driver installs those registry keys is because NVidia probably made them on a machine with a pre-release of sp1. So that's all good now. smile

(3) Also, my PC Anywhere 8 started giving me a warning on boot up. It appears that it was supposed to do that before, but never did. Still worked though, even with the warning. I installed 9.2 and there's no more warning.

Anyone noticed any other successful fixes? I've heard that some people had to uninstall and reinstall their TCP/IP. I did that just for good measure, but I didn't really have any problem.

Does anyone know if they plan to put the SP1 in the Windows update site? I know its considered a 'recommended' download, but I would think they would let us know thru that. the Update site is much easier to look at instead of searching for something that isnt out yet. And as previous NT 4.0 service packs, sometimes they arent the easiest things to find. I remember getting SP 4 for 4.0 just by a friendly link, no web advertisment at all... anyway, if anyone has info..

Jeff

3 seperate installs on three seperate machines (one over a clean install of W2k pro) and no issues yet!

------------------

*gniltrohc yawa srednaw*