Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cutha

Burner and IDE probs.

In Windows 2000 I cannot burn any cds. Within 1-2 minutes I get a buffer under run and an instant coaster. I have used

several pieces of burning software, same thing. Everything works fine in win98 though. Any ideas?

Also, when coping a 700meg file from F drive (fat32 7200rpm Primary master) to J drive (ntfs 5400rpm secondary slave) it takes

less then 5 minutes. But when I copy the file from J to F it takes close to 20 minutes. I cant test this in win98 because the ntfs.

The hard drive coping thing isn’t a big deal, kind of sucks, but liveable. On the other hand, not being able to burn in win2k is

driving me nuts. I don’t want to reinstall win2k until the new final drivers come out for the geforce.

Thanks for your time,

Cutha

System:

AMD K7 650Mhz

Giga-byte GA-7iX rev. F3

2x128Megs Micron PC100

Primary Master 27Gig 7200rpm (ATA66)

Secondary Master HP 8200

Secondary Slave 17.2Gig 5400rpm (ATA33)

SB128

GeForce DDR

2xNIC

USB enabled

No IRQ conflicts.

No answer I'm afraid, but FWIW I'm getting a similar problem with a SCSI setup.

I've got W2K Pro as dual boot with Win98. Under Win98 I can CD-CD on the fly at any speed with no problem.

Under W2K I can only do CD-CD at 4x, any higher then instant underrun (I've only tried simulation mode so no coasters yet)

Software used is Plextools 1.05, EZ-CD 4.02, latest ASPI installed (same version as in Win98).

I'm keen to find an answer as it kind of defeats the object switching to Win98 to do a fast copy.

System:-

PIII FC-PGA 650

ASUS P3B-F

160MB

2 x Maxtor DM+40 (40GB total)

Pioneer 6xDVD SCSI

Plextor 40 MAX

Plexwriter 124

Compaq C1537 DAT

Adaptec 19160 (overkill I know)

Promise U66

Voodoo3 3K

SB Live! Value

Hauppauge WinTV

USR 56K ISA

My only concern is that the sound card, voodoo, SCSI, Promise, TV card, ACPI and USB all share the same IRQ with no way to change this. Whether that's the problem I'm unsure.

Any ideas anyone?

The reason all of those devices are sharing the same irq is because ACPI is enabled. This should not cause a problem because your computer will assign irqs when the device is needed, but if you are having problems you can try to disable ACPI.

I'm no sure why your having problems. I have a 4X Smart & Friendly SCSI writer w/ Adaptec 4.02 and I can burn CDs MUCH better in Win2k. In win98 every little f**king thing would make the buffer underrun and screw up my CDs. In Win2k, I've never had a buffer underrun and I do all kinds of 'dangerous' stuff while writing. I copy files, run internet progs, and even play 3D online games smile This rocks, if I touched anything in my win2k . . . scratch that CD!

I do have a suggestion for adrianhall, though. If you are using a SCSI drive then you do not need any ASPI drivers. The ASPI drivers make non-SCSI devices (ie IDE writers) look like SCSI devices. Windows talks to the ASPI layer as if it's talking to a SCSI device and the ASPI layer then gets those commands to the SCSI device over whatever protical it's really on (ie IDE or LPT). So your problem is definately not in those drivers.

I had some similar problems with adaptecs junk software, uninstalling and then reinstalling fixed the problem.

Although the best fix is to not use any adaptec programs, try nero burning rom it works much better.

The reason for your problems might be that Win2K does not use ASPI. If you've upgraded from NT/98 OR installed a non-Win2K compatible burning program, you have an ASPI driver installed that's causing some grief.....

Well, I've uninstalled all the software and just tried with Plextor's own Plextools app.

Now what happens is when I record CD-CD, about 2 seconds into the burn (at 4x) there's a pause for about 2 seconds then it continues.

Installing Adaptec's latest ASPI fixes that.

I have Nero 5.0.13, same problem, and I also found that burning at 12x from HDD (a Maxtor DM+40) also has buffer underrun.

It looks like for W2K burning, I'm stuck with 4x

Sorry for the multiposts, i wasnt had any feedback from the browser so i though, man this thing dont work...

OK, OK I get the message smile

I've got 2 Maxtro DM+40's, connected on a Promise U66 each on it's own channel. They're the only IDE drives I've got, everything else is on my Adaptec.

I'm beginning to think it's a driver issue for the Adaptec 19160 as apart from a completely different OS (!), the only difference in software between my W98 setup and my W2K setup is the drivers for the card - same ASPI, same versions of burning software, etc.

Have anyone fix this problem, i have the same, can me help anyone

My config:

Asus P3C 2000

Plextor 40xTS

Plextor 12/4/32

Pioneer DvD 303 SCSI

Adaptec 19160 Hostadapter

IBM DNES-309170W LVD SCSI

Seagate ST320420A (IDE)

Thx

------------------

Andy

I have noticed the same thing with the Adaptec software. You try and burn Disk to Disk and it copies the whole CD and then as it finishes it comes up with and error and spits out the disk.

Even with the updates for 4.02c installed.

Now one of my clients is having similar difficulties. Nero runs much better under 2000. Still problematic, but the lesser of evils.

Andreas - my only solution has been to ditch the 19160. A cheap Tekram DC-310 works perfectly now at all my Plextor speeds. My DAT drive runs at full speed again and I can use my PC without any buffer underruns - with the 19160 just closing my DUN connection killed the recording.

I'm lucky, I don't have a SCSI hard drive any more so I don't need the 19160 - it's in Ebay now smile

Adaptec software is crap. If you must use Adaptec, use the old software 3.5..something it seems to be stable, but i have had all kinds of anomalies and coasters using Adaptec 4.0 or greater. The stuff just self destructs over time. Use Nero, WinImage to bust ISO's, and Fireburner for bin files if needed. Just a suggestion. I have went as far as reinstalling windows just to get my HP burning properly again.