Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Me

what is devldr32.exe for?

this file was installed when i installed the new creative labs live drivers (driver only, not liveware). it loads up with the computer and uses 2mb of system memory! i cant end the process in task manager either. and it seems that when windows loads the desktop, there is a long pause while i wait for the speaker icon to load. its quite annoying.

It has something to do with the drivers' interface to EAX, I think. Some games (such as GTA2) don't work if you disable it, so you have to consider it part of the driver and just keep it running. If you're pressed for memory, then you're better off reducing the SoundFont cache size.

Me, I know what it's for..

THIS FILE IS THE PROBLEM FOR THE STARTUP LAG!! But Read below I have a fix for it! (EASY fix!)

devldr32.exe IS for sound blaster LIVE! It controls also the LIVE! drive (for platinum owners!) If you disable it, u cant use the live! drive.

This is the thing to do.

Go to Start, Find.. Search for "devldr32.exe"

Drag the file to the desktop. Open the startup folder and stick it in there. Before i did this, I used to have 13 second lag at startup. After doing this, I have the SAME program results but no lag time!!!!

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by STi Sev (edited 26 July 2000).]

Don't screw with the DevLdr application. Essentially it is an arbiter between Windows and the advanced features of the card. Messing around with DevLdr can destabilize your system.

DevLdr acts as the mixer interface, so depending on your setup you will lose volume control if you don't load DevLdr.

The way DevLdr is written, most of it will be paged out into virtual memory, so you really don't need to worry about it using 2MB. Also, the memory it requires will change and normally hovers around a much lesser amount.

If memory is an issue to the point where you are concerned about the usage. I would either use the Basic WDM drivers on the 2K CD, or purchase additional memory.

DrSchmoe,

You ARE missing the point.

It lags the system 13 seconds at startup.

My way of fixing is PROVEN!!! Just do it man, test it out and if u dont like it, put it back where it was!!!!!!!

I have a SBLive!, but only use the Liveware3 drivers--not Liveware3

the devldr causes my system to lag on shutdown-not startup.

Is it safe to disable and or remove?

I have a SBLive!, but only use the Liveware3 drivers--not Liveware3

the devldr causes my system to lag on shutdown-not startup.

Is it safe to disable and or remove?

Oooh. 13 seconds...

My gosh man, how impatient are you? I have servers that take more than 30 minutes to boot. Consider yourself lucky. laugh

The DevLdr application is used regardless of the presence of the LW3 tools. I don't recommend messing with it because it is a Ring3 (application level) arbiter to kernel mode drivers (Ring0). In other words, killing DevLdr can interfere with the kernel operation of the OS (if it makes calls to the non-existent application). This is a bad thing.

Rarely do hardware vendors include superfluous additions to their drivers. For this reason, if LW3 is causing problems it would be better to fall back to the basic WDM. This is often better than tweaking with vendor provided drivers.

Tweaking can cause system instability. Chances are you wouldn't be using Windows 2000 unless that was a priority.

I reboot my W2k systems about every two weeks so how long it takes realy doesn't matter. For me how long it takes to start up or shut down is not imprortant, it's how well it runs when it's up that counts. If it were like the dos/9x kernel that needs rebooting several times a day than I would worry about it. But it's not.