Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theviper2k

Voodoo5 32meg only showing ????

I notice when you check adapter information under Win2k It only reports having 32meg of ram. What might be causing this because the

voodoo5 has 64 megs on board.

I've read somewhere Voodoo 5000 series have can have 1,2 or 4 VSA-100 procesors in board.

And 64 MB videocard models don't really have 64 MB. They have 32+32 MB. That is, every VSA-100 has 32 MB for texture storage, but they can't access other's VSA-100 ram.

So, you have a kind of SMP 3d card (much like the old Voodo 2 SLI), with two graphics processors that have 32MB for textures, but can't share memory. That's why you only can see 32 MB in your "display adapter" tab.

WHY?

Why would you even waste your money on that card..

What a fool..

the same reason someone would waste their money on a 64 meg hercules geforce 2 smile gts...it all depends on what you use the card for...I have used both cards and *BOTH* have their drawbacks...I'm actually interested to see how the radeon hold up when it starts getting into more machines...maybe it will add another dimension to the card wars...

Hey Ronin. I have seen both GF2 and V5 5500 in action. Frame rate was about the same. Image quality about the same. Either card is a good choice.

For what it is worth The Radeon cards are GREAT!! I run 32 Bit hi resolution and it kicks butt!!!

Ned