Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wind

Ram problems?

I think im having some problems with my ram, but im unsure. My first question is, are there any programs that test your ram that will run under windows 2000? I could probably boot into dos also to test my ram if neccisary.

Anyway, im having some wierd problems at the moment. For example, I download 10 files, crc check them, they're fine, then go back sometime later (it could be a hour, a day, a week) and SOMEHOW some of them have crc errors. This happens with all types of files, I could be using a file one moment, go back to it and it will be corrupt or so. The only thing I can pin this problem down to is ram, as files go file > ram > cpu, the problem could be there. I have 4 sticks of ram in my machine, I could try taking some out but would prefer a software solution at first. Any ideas?

sounds more like a filesystem error to me.. have you checked your event log recently? when my 30 gig bought the big hard drive in the sky.. the event log leading up to it was littered with HD warning and errors

just a thought

Maybe you have enabled Ultra DMA 33/66 on a HD that's not capable of operating in this mode, or you don't use quality cables for the connections...

Anyway, if you want to test your RAM there are some free testers available on http://www.tweakfiles.com

Look in Diagnostics. I recommend using them in DOS, without any other programs and processes running in background that can invalidate your tests.

Good Luck and tell me what you discover.

Ah, available there are also some HD testers, have a look at them also!

Wind:

You overclocking at all? Overclocking in my experience can give CRC errors. Im going through this same thing right now as you. If Im in Win2k and download a file and try to extract it sometimes I get CRC errors. If I go back to normal I never see CRC probs.

BTW, Im gonna try out your recommended program to see if my RAM is tiptop.

My PC specs:

Abit BE6

Cel2 566@850Mhz

192 Megs PC133 Cas2

20.5G Quantum Fireball LM

V3 3500

Glad you've found out what was wrong! There is a possibility that your module is still good, simply maybe its speed is lower than that of the other modules, and it can't be accessed properly from the memory I/O controller. Try it on another machine, alone, and if it's ok, you can sell it, and earn some money to get a new one.

N.B.

I think you've got DIMM modules, right? SIMMs are no longer available, or if they are, at extremely high prices...and SIMMs cannot be tested alone, they always have to be in couple to be addressed correctly.

Yeah, dimm modules smile 2x64, 2x128 all pc100, I think that the oldest 64mb chip is the one thats playing up..will try it in another machine and see what happens.

Battleship - nothing overclocked at the moment smile

Ah ha! I've found some memory experts...

Right, although this isn't win2k related, I can't get win98 to boot/install/anything. The thing is it was fine upto a few days ago. Then it bsod'd with the following:

Quote:
Fatal exception 0E has occured at 0038:C0005338 in VXD VMM(01) + 0004338.

It is always the same memory locations. Is this a PCI device? Is there anyone who knows where or what it could be? I've managed to get win98se running since then a couple of times. But, it just dies, quickly. Win2000, and Beos are absolutely rock solid (but sh*& for games, stuttering sound, and no 3D respectfully :)).

------------------

System Spec:

FIC VA-503+ 1.1b bios JE439

CPU Current Limiter Disabled

AMD K6-2 550 (300 when I talk to FIC tech support)

128Mb SSi PC100

STB Velocity 4400 16Mb AGP PAL TV-Out

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN

Creative ES1371 (PCI64v)

56.6K (AkA 44k) ISA Modem

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24) (cracked 1.60 bios)

Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb

LS120

and com and lpt i/o conflict error during bios startup.

Hardware fault caused by win2k beta3 and dodgy bios, now irrepairable. wink

Serial IO card smile

- I hate to say something obvious, but you can try to disable from BIOS the ports giving conflict, then try to load the OS and work.

- Well, it also could be a memory problem because Windows 98 uses the memory from (I think) the last module to the first, while Windows NT uses it the opposite way. So, if Windows 98 finds the memory leak at first, it crashes, but WinNT can use memory a lot till it uses the bad memory (virtually always) so it seems more stable.

Use the same utility that WIND used, in a DOS boot disk, and check your RAM!

Hope you'll find out

thanx,

don't worry about the com ports! they're totally disabled in the bios (although win2k insists that they are there, just like the disabled FDD). They actually do work, but only if halt on no errors is enabled (which it is), and also I've got a serial IO card, with the 1 com port enabled for my yamaha mu100r, as the com ports don't work in ACPI, and the TNT doesn't work in Standard mode. smile

For the memory, I have one stick, which tests out totally fine, and there are no probs in NT5, BeOS, or the QNX demodisk!

I want to find out what is using that memory location, any ideas?

Thankyou, again.

It's overcloked or not? If so, try going down with speed, maybe your RAM isn't capable of doin' good at that speed...

What's the problem? A friend of mine has a k6-2 350 goin' at 500.... Anyway, I don't know how to guess the device having problems from the error you reported. Did you try Sandra 2000? It checks the entire system, and for what I can say it seems pretty good. It also gives you advices to resolve problems and improving performance. And tell me, what program did you install before getting the sequel of BSOD? does the Safe mode function? Didi you try (this sometimes functions for me) deleting the swap file and then reloading the system, so it creates a new win386.swp from scratch?

Heh, overclocked k6's. Dont they allready run pretty hot without being overclocked? Could probably fry something on it at 500 from 350 smile

Hey, eheheh, I thought the same, but it's still going after 7 months.... In three years, it's his first (and only) overclock gone well wink. Anyway, did you do what I said?

And another thing: I can't remember well, but it seems to me that VMM.VXD is a library that Windows 98 recreates at every boot, containing the information on all of your installed devices. I had a similar problem (But, as I said, I can't remember if VMM.VXD is the name) and the only solution I could find was to reinstall the system completely from scratch. Copying it from another system won't do, ( maybe if you copy the VXD from another computer EXACTLY LIKE yours this could go, it's basically a list if device drivers all in one file; if the devices are the same, there is a chance).

So give it a try!

Sadly, my normally clocked K6-2 550 kicked the bucket, 2 days a go frown It also appears to have taken out the motherboard as well. Thats probably cause I'd disabled the current limiter to stop my old k6-2 450 (Pre ahx) from tripping the current limiter wink So when my 550 became an infinite current sink, the mobo did it's best to supply.

To make matters worse, I tried my spare k6-2 300, It didn't work, so I checked it in my other PC. Nothing. Maybe static? Or the mobo fried it too. So left with the 450, I chucked it in, it powered on, but no bios post. Giving up, it was put back into the original PC, and I booted up win98 (thats what's on it), to go buy a new mobo, and CPU. Before windows had even loaded, I could smell burning... I checked the K6-2, and it was cookin'. After whiping out the power cable, I took it out, and it had turned the heat transfer compound black! Out of paranoia, i'd checked the bios CPU settings, everything ok, the heatsink was on and perfectly OK. So I changed the CPU to about half the speed and lowered the voltage. It still got extremely hot. So I've removed it, looks like they're all knackered. Having a degree in electronics, you;d think, I wouldn't be hit with this, but well, its not been my week. In a couple of days, I'm expecting a massive heatsink to arrive in the post. Won't need it now.

Just out of conicidence, the exact same thing happened to 3 PC's in my work that have the same chip, (but from different suppliers, and purchase dates). Weird.

Do think I should risk replacing the K6-2 in the other mobo? Not my own, as I've bought a K7 800, and board smile. Bye bye BeOS frown Bye Bye Via smile

Still don't know what the error message was though...

------------------

System Spec:

No CPU frown

No Mobo frown

128Mb SSi PC100

STB Velocity 4400 16Mb AGP PAL TV-Out

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN

Creative ES1371 (PCI64v)

56.6K (AkA 44k) ISA Modem

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24) (cracked 1.60 bios)

Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb

LS120