Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adrianhall

IRQ sharing

Go to Device Mangaer

Do you Computer click on the "+"

DBL Click on it go to Driver click on Driver Update change to Standard PC all so update you bios by disable ACPI.

You will losee ACPI & Hibernation mode

Hi all.

I've got a question regarding IRQ sharing under W2K Pro, which is dual booted with Win98 where most of my Windows experience lies.

My system details are:-

PIII FC-PGA 650

ASUS P3B-F

160MB

2 x Maxtor DM+40 (40GB total)

Pioneer 6xDVD SCSI

Plextor 40 MAX

Plexwriter 124

Compaq C1537 DAT

Adaptec 19160 (overkill I know)

Promise U66

Voodoo3 3K

SB Live! Value

Hauppauge WinTV

USR 56K ISA

My only concern is that the sound card, voodoo, SCSI, Promise, TV card, ACPI and USB all share the same IRQ (9) with no way to change this. Under Win98 there's practically no sharing (I've disabled onboard IDE as I've no need for it)

The reason for my concern is that CD-CD on the fly can only be done at 4x without buffer underrun under W2K, Win98 has no problem.

I've got the same (latest) software (ASPI 4.60.something-or-other, EZ-CD 4.02, Plextools 1.05, Nero 5.013) under each OS with same results so it suggests that the problem is in the data transfer between CD's in W2K. Burning from HDD has no problem.

I also can't find any settings to enable sync transfer or disconnect so I'm assuming W2K enables these by default where necessary.

I'm gradually building up to scapping Win98 but this is a slight fly in the ointment!!

Any ideas?

Tried that, changed the system with no perceptible problems, devices spread out over all my IRQ's which looks better, but still the same problem with the CD burning over 4x.

Also, have since found out that burning from HDD to CD at over 8x causes same problem, and also with Nero, as well as EZ-CD and Plextools so it would appear to be s/ware related, specifically to Win2K as everything I'm using is o.k. in Win98.

Adrian

Wait how do you change that ASPI thing in windows 2000?

I couldnt figure out what u were talking bout

thanks

please email me the answer

stisev@home.com

[This message has been edited by STi Sev (edited 19 July 2000).]

Although M$ don't recommend it, it was quite easy for me.

I can't remember the names as I'm at work and I'm a non-admin user of NT4, but anyway:-

Go into device manager and to the list of devices in your pc. Top of the list is Computer, open the tree and go into the properties of 'ACPI compliant PC....'.

Select update driver, show a list of all devices, then show all compatible and a list pops up. On the right, select Standard PC and you're away!!

On re-boot, it'll reinstall all your hardware drivers like a fresh system install. For me this worked fine, no strange after-effects. Being still in FAT32 though, I had a Norton Ghost image of my W2K partition to restore if necessary :-)

I still wouldn't do that. When I changed those drivers, my system bluescreened on boot, so I had to wipe windows and do a clean install. In my experience, ACPI works like a charm, and somehow I doubt its the cause of the cd burner not working at a high speed.

You're right, it was nothing to do with it, so I just 'ghosted' the disk image back in place and I was back to square one. I must have been lucky though as disabling ACPI was completely problem free.

It was strangely comforting though seeing all my devices on their own IRQ's once again.

I have the same motherboard as you do (ASUS p3b-f) except mine uses a Celeron II 850. I switched from ACPI to Standard PC with no problems. The only problem is that on the P3B-F, Slots 3&6 and 4&5 share an IRQ, other than that its a great board. I have a problem with sound however. I have a Gueillmot Fortissimo (Optical Out) on Slot 2 (the only slot that has its own IRQ). Whenever I shutdown the machine, Windows 2000 forgets I have the card. When I boot up again, the drivers are installed, yet there is no sound and the little speaker icon in the taskbar is gone.

------------------

Celeron II 850

ASUS P3B-F

128 MB 7ns PC133 El-cheapo RAM

Promise Ultra66 Card

Dual Maxtor 15GB Drives

Firewire Controller

I forgot to mention that the USB Controller also shares an IRQ with PCI slot 4/5.

[This message has been edited by nonzero (edited 21 July 2000).]

sorry, repeat post...

[This message has been edited by nonzero (edited 21 July 2000).]

Not a lot to suggest - my SB Live is in slot 5, sharing with my WinTV and hasn't caused any problems.

Were you having the problem with ACPI, or any other for that matter? I changed to find out if it was causing my CD burning trouble, but it wasn't so I've gone back to ACPI with no ill-effects (so far :))!

Did you make sure DMA is enabled? Stupid question, I know, but a lot of CD burning problems (especially at 8x) are caused by not having DMA enabled.

It also goes without saying that you need to be 150% sure that you have the newest IDE drivers.

Only the HDD's are IDE, everything else is SCSI.

All drivers are the newest I can find for all devices.

For anyone interested, I think it's a W2K driver issue with the Adaptec 19160.

I've stuck in an old Tekram DC-310U and all my drives record at the speed they were meant to.

Adaptec are convinced it's a problem with EZ-CD and want me to do the run-around logging it as a problem with that, even though I've told them it's with any and all CD software.

Needless to say where possible Adaptec won't be featuring on my shopping list any time soon!!

I've stuck in an old Tekram DC-310U and all my drives record at the speed they were meant to.

Adaptec are convinced it's a problem with EZ-CD and want me to do the run-around logging it as a problem with that, even though I've told them it's with any and all CD software.

Needless to say where possible Adaptec won't be featuring on my shopping list any time soon!!