Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
URinsane

Win2k Display Problems HELP!

Hello, I am running Win2K Pro. When I try to go into Display Properties, and then try to go into advanced, I get the following error msg:

An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINNT\System32\desk.cpl

Is there any way to fix this? All help will be greatly appreciated!

(btw, I have tried reinstalling the video drivers to no avail. Also, this started after I was installing beta drivers for my banshee, and has now continued with my GeForce256.)

Try pulling it off the CD and use expand.exe to uncompress it. Then replace the old with the new.

Its called DESK.CP_ and expand.exe is in the same folder

Assuming CDrom is d:\ in a dos window type:

d:\

cd i386

expand desk.cp_ c:\winnt\system32\desk.cpl

It might work if the file is corrupt.

Look in your Control Panel in Add/Remove Programs. If there is an item named "Banshee drivers" or something like that, uninstall it. Then reinstall your GeForce Drivers...Maybe the beta drivers of the Banshee told the system to load a dll or something that makes confusion.

Another trick would be to get the archive with the beta drivers, print the list of files, go into recovery console mode, delete any of the files listed, then reboot. if the system fails to load at this point, boot from the CD and perform a Repair of the current installation.

Hope this will go!

Just try reinstalling Win2k, over the actual one, and it will place any missing files again in the disk. But this do not alter the registry so no need to reconfigure, either this can be good or bad for you i dont know.

Good luck.