Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

HOLY F*CKING POSESSION, BATMAN!

Ok...now here's a classic computer demon that I need exorcised. Banished to the Mac world, if you will :P

I just disassemled 3 computers, 1 486(took a 20x CD-Rom, a 325 MB hdd, and a floppy), 1 Pentium 1(the 1 GB Hdd), and the other a Pentium III(took the DVD Rom, CD-RW, Video card, 2 Harddrives, and 384 RAM).

The 486 is forever dead...

The Pentium 1 is running on a sole 8.4 GB hdd.

The spare parts(the 2hdds, the dvd, cdrw, floppy, ram, video card) are waiting for my case on monday.

Which leaves me with the infected demon.

The Pentium III is running the BTCCDROM from the 486. I tried installing Linux on it...but it stopped working, so I figured I'd try again later...

So I wanted Win98 on it so I could at least play some games until I build my other computer.

When booting from the Win98 disk, the cdrom tray opens and closes in rapid succession, regardless of a cd's presence(*I even used my bootable Win2000 RC1 to test)*.

How do I exorcise my demons, and get my CD drive on the lighter side?

Or do I just laugh and tell people that the cup holder is having problems :P

The CD is probably not IDE, and a propriatory interface. Try plugging it into a soundcard (most likely a soundblaster).

If not its knackered.

I'll assume you've connected the cables the correct way smile

What's happened is this: I'm using an old CD ROM(yes it's IDE) that has 2 buttons--it;s one of the cd players that can play cds just by pressing buttons on the outside(as opposed to the 1 button variety).

Compaq(which $uck$ a$$) has a cover over the CD drive, that if you press the button on the outside of the cover, it presses both of the buttons...which makes it go screwy.

Also, now it's being a bastard and opens up and immediately closes....making it a race to put cds in...but I need the exercise...

I'll try BeOS5 again..that was slightly interesting.....

and I'm only running win98 on this till I get a new video card and then I'll go Linux on this for my Halflife Server(CS)

To cast out them you must check if your cd-rom has some button locked in a short circuit,

the solution replace the little button in the printed board (with really accurate moves) or cut it off for ever. Switch the bad one with the another and leave the play button without the switch.