Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tourettes

Windows 2000, TNT2 & Uptime

How long have you been able to keep your Windows running before it crashes with NVidia's drivers?

I had over two weeks with Matrox G200 (had to reboot machine to install new software, so it did'n crash)

Now with Asus TNT2 longes period is 5 days. Usualy I get 2-3 days and then lockup or K_MODE error.

My system :

Abit BP6 (dual celeron) board version 1.0

Asus V3800

256MB RAM

Plextor 8/4/32 CD-R

IBM 14.5GB

Seagate 6.5GB

I can't get my TNT2 Ultra to run any D3D apps without a hard lockup. I never get more than a few hours since most of the time I run games.

Ed

Quote:
Originally posted by tourettes:
How long have you been able to keep your Windows running before it crashes with NVidia's drivers?

Now with Asus TNT2 longes period is 5 days. Usualy I get 2-3 days and then lockup or K_MODE error.

When I run IE the system has BSOD. With drivers 5.xx uptime is something like 5 minutes - drivers 3.78 are a little bit stable (uptime ½ hour).

My system:
Asus P5A-B+AMD K6-2/500 MHz
128 MB/10,1GB
STB Velocity 4400 (TNT), 16 MB
SBLive!

EM - Have you tried to lower you AGP speed?

I set AGP to 1x with PowerStrip and AGP divider from bios to 2/3. It seens that it has helped a little bit. Now 1 week up and still running.

My Supermicro P6DBE doesn't give me an option to change the divider in the BIOS nor set the AGP speed. I guess I will just keep on using my Voodoo3 2000.

Ed

Ive had a 14 day uptime with detonator 5.30 with my asus geforce v6600. Nothing bad happend to my system or any thing, but my modem got disconnected from the internet and I decided that I might as well reboot before reconnecting.. I know that a geforce card isnt a tnt2, but they have the same drivers and stuff and im sure stability would be the same.

system: dual p3-500, 256mb ram, asus v6600, win2000 proffesional

I have a TNT2 Ultra, and Windows 2000 gives me a BSOD whenever I try to run 3DMark 2000. I think I've figured out why it does that: IRQ Sharing. My TNT2U is sharing IRQ 11 with my SB Live! and my USB controller. When I disabled the USB controller, 3DMark ran longer than it did, but it still crashed before it finished the test. I don't know if there's any way to change the IRQ of my video card (or sound card) without reinstalling Windows 2000 (I'm in ACPI mode right now). Will installing Windows 2000 in Standard PC mode instead of ACPI disable anything useful (such as the soft-off feature)? Thanks.

Matt

I dont know if its just me, but I dont need acpi for anything. My pc is on 24/7, my monitor powers off without acpi so umm, I dont know what other advanced power management I need..one thing I do know though is that it seems to be causing a lot of problems and greif in windows 2000 and most people probably dont need it? Just my view of things smile

Quote:
Originally posted by wind:
Ive had a 14 day uptime with detonator 5.30 with my asus geforce v6600. Nothing bad happend to my system or any thing, but my modem got disconnected from the internet and I decided that I might as well reboot before reconnecting..
system: dual p3-500, 256mb ram, asus v6600, win2000 proffesional

It is because of your mobo. TNT(2) doesn't work with P5A(-B). I had very unstable w2k with my TNT and so I replaced my TNT with ATI card. Now I have very stable system and no more BSOD anymore!!
I know the ATI drivers are from h*ll, but I don't need so much gaming power.

My configuration:
ASUS P5A-B+K6-2/500 MHz (no o/c)
128MB/10.2GB
SBLive!
ATI xpert2000 (rage 128)

You need to be running Detonator(not 2) 5.17.

I have these on my drive so if you want them Send me a mail...I send for you no problem.

Maybe you allready have them...Thats what I use until they get it right....I'm not changing to Detonator 2 Drivers....nononono

Setting AGP 1X really helps. With 5.30 drivers my system has been up for 13 days with games and RC5 running all the time. Anyone who got stability problems try lowering your AGP speed.

Only TNT2 related problem I'm still having is with disappearing "text-selection" mouse cursor.