Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Laddyboy

I need help w dhcp please

I keep getting the following errer in event viewer and my network wont run....can anyone help me

The IP address lease 205.229.255.95 for the Network Card with network address 0080C8C1C06E has been denied by the DHCP server 208.220.88.250 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I am running win2k on the machine with the cable modem and win98se on the machine I can't access anymore..

All 3 machines have realtek nic's. If I do a search for the 98se machine It finds it...it takes a while...but it finds it. The 98s3 machine is set to use dhcp server.

Thanks

Michael

It looks like the DHCP server has finished the available addresses....control this, also look if there is a address conflict, maybe one of your machines has a fixed IP address.

Mostly DHCP NACKS are when you have a multi-homed Server.

One NIC on one Subnet, with another NIC on another Subnet.

One NIC Could have 192.168.1.1 and the other could have 192.1.1.1

What happens is that the DHCP Server issues the IP Address from either subnet A or Subnet B.

OK, not to get into two much math, you have two NETWORK ID, and one HOST ID. The MASK Could still be the same, say 255.255.255.0 but the DHCP will try and issue an IP Address from both subnets. When it fails to find a scope for the first Subnet, it issues a NACK, and tries the second and so on....

To solve, you create a superscope. This contains both subnets. You will have A Scope and B Scope.

Now when the Client PC Asks for an IP address, it can issue this from either A or B.

But this is only if you have a Multi-homed Server....

It looks to me like you have a TCP/IP binding with a STATIC IP Address...

Check all Machines to ensure you haven't got any STATIC IP addresses..... Only the DHCP Server should have a STATIC IP.

The best way to check is on NT Machines type ipconfig /all and Windows 98 Machines use the winipcfg.exe util and ask it to show more...

Good luck..!!!