Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mondain98

Liveware 3.0 for Windows2000: Where the hell is it?

Why are you *****in???? The current software works fine for me and I'm sure the rest of us. Why do you think noone has replied to you stupid question. I thought I would so as to put a stop to these lame as threads.

Thats a bit OTT Ronin.

Your assumptions are a little unfounded. I have no problem with any hardware in my machine with Win2k except my SB Live, with the Liverware2k stuff, sound is practically unusable.

-MP3's crackle and randomley go out of synch.

-Directsound games slow down and crash, with popping and crackling (Yes, I have played around with the acceleration levels etc etc with no success)

I've gone back to the original basic drivers supplied with Win2k, with not too much success. MP3's now play fine, but games are still a bit of a mess.

System specs:

PIII 450

QDI 440BX M/Board

192Mb RAM (PC100)

Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra (3.79 drivers)

SB Live Value

Promise ULTRA66 IDE Controller

3com 10/100 PCI NIC

Gigabytes of hard disk space

So, I am eager also to get the new release, and I dare say you'll download it too when it does eventually come out.

Laters....

evil Homer

[This message has been edited by evil Homer (edited 18 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by evil Homer (edited 18 June 2000).]

I agree ronin thats way harsh

i got so sick of the cr@p sound in win2k with my live that im back on 98se till liveware 3 comes out.

Creative have done it again first of all they said that liveware 2000 will fully support eax bla bla bla like it even works with out crashing the computer.

Then they said liveware 3 bla bla bla mid may

that didnt happen then they said that they will put it back to mid june well we're now 2/3rds in to june and still not even a post of the date!

well creative can suck me di.....

------------------

CELERON 333

Asus p2b-b motherboard

64 mg ram

voodoo 3 2000-3000 hybrid (2000 with tv out)

Sb live value

realtek nic

ok maybe I was to harsh, but I'm not having a single problem with my SB Live card. I learned a long time ago not to vent to hard on this board because it get's you no where. Anyway's sorry dude.

oh I forgot to mention.

------------------

My System:

Dual 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

256 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

SB Live

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hurcules Geforce 2 64meg

ok!

You can put your tongue back in your mouth now.

Yes, Ronin, the SBLive drivers suck....hard. Even the latest Creative FAQ states that EAX won't be implemented until the next driver release. Also, ACPI mode (combined with SMP?) really throws these drivers for a loop (IRQL, Kmode BSDOs). These are well-documented throughout these and the creative message boards. My board works fine as long as I am doing MIDI or it is just playing a default sound when I am clicking in IE, but try playing an AVI fullscreen with high quality audio, MP3s for a half hour or so, or any game with a lot of sound mixing (Q3A) etc. and these drivers will fail, crackle, freeze, crash, etc. on many systems.

:}

Same here, using the driver that came with win2k insted of the win2k liveware 2k. Games was unmstable and popping and crackling, so I vent back to the basics.

my SB 1024 is the only thing left to not have good drivers in my system, even the G400 MAX have good drivers now!

Dual P3-504

Asus P2B-DS

SB 1024

G400 NAX

256 RAM

Kenwood TrueX 52x SCSI

Modney tomorrow I hopefully will come back from the store with the Elsa Gladiac!!! laugh

Yes your system is impressive! Mine is watercooled smile

Man the win2k sblive drivers are so ghetto and lame. Everytime I try to set my sound to high quality or turn on eax my computer reboots. I agree with the first guy. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE NEW DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay:

1. At best the Win 2K Liveware drivers are a stop gap, the readme file that accompanies them openly abmits that they do not support all the features of the SB Live. Like Ronin, my computer functions just fine with the temporary drivers - however, I would like to use my sound card to its full potential.

2. Creative have handled this very badly, a sketchy driver release schedual, where dates appear not to have been met. This has infuriated some people, I myself feel a little concerned that nothing has arrived yet and for those with problem, the situation must be a nightmare. I'm sure everyone understands that there's probably a good reason as to why the drivers are late - but I think that Creative could at least tell us that they have got a delay and give regular updates as to when we can expect the Win 2K Liveware release.

The real problem here is a lack of communication from Creative, for all we know they could all be dead! I've sent them emails, as I'm sure others have, a response would be nice, or at least a post on their website. Come on guys, it's good PR.

Heh. I have had zip problems with LiveWare 2k... other than it looks ugly. My mp3's run fine. I am into extensive video editing. I play DVDs, almost contantly play mp3s... games (although EAX doesn't work, I don't bother with it). I never freeze or crash though. Oh well. heh.

Intel Desktop Board SE440BX-2

P3 550

128mb pc133

20.2 GB Quantum 7200rpm

Sb Live Platinum

Annihilator Pro

win2k pro

Ok,

I understand some of you are having problems. But I'm not and I have not since the drivers where released. So like I said not every person that owns a SB Live card and runs W2K has problems. It's a combination of the hardware that you are running that causes the problems you are having. It's not just the sound card itself.

------------------

My System:

Dual 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

256 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

SB Live

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hurcules Geforce 2 64meg

ok!

You can put your tongue back in your mouth now.

I'm using Win 2k with an SBLive. While Liveware 2000 is kind of lacking in features, it seems to work for me. I have had a few issues, such as the suddden inability to load SoundFonts. I also seem to have problems with the Live's game controller, but I don't really use my joystick that often, and when I do, it's usually in Windows 98 because those games won't run in Win 2k.

And my computer is fairly modest:

Celeron 466

A-Bit BH6 v1.0 MB

192 MB RAM

Diamond Viper V770 TNT2, 32MB

A-Trend Helios 3D II, Voodoo II, 12 MB

SBLive! Value

Otherwise, the current drivers seem to be stable. My sound works flawlessly. All my games run fine. Only the lack of AEX support is rather annoying. ****! Creative must have been working on this since way before Win 2k was released. I would expect that they'd have this worked out by now and have Liveware 3 (or LW 4) realeased by now.

And I just heard Aureal has gone hay...

competition rule rules..

--

better flee b4 flamthrower recharge--->

I never had a problem with the 2.0 drivers EXCEPT they don't support AC-3 passthru. What good is it that WinDVD and PowerDVD work on Win2k if I can't get my 5.1 audio. And the playcenter doesn't display CD Text in Win2k. I have a DXR2 card but I can see improved quality with the software players. I have a DXR3 card but the drivers are only beta. Functional but still not satisfactory. So what I'm saying is, my DVD playback is not optimal all because creative is poking around. Sorry if I changed the subject.

I haven't had any problems with Liveware 2.0. Sure I get the occasional pop every couple of hours or so, but that's certainly nothing to go whining about. Sound works fine in all my games, and I have had zero stability problems, despite having a "full" system setup.

As for DVD, it is a consumer product, not a business product. Be happy there is any dvd support at all in win2k. Name another company that has a card with ac3 passthrough in win2k, then you can ***** about how creative is sitting on their thumbs.

Athlon 700@900

Abit KA7

256MB RAM

Voodoo3 3500

SB Live

Tekram DC-390U2W LVD

Pinnacle Systems DC30 Pro capture card

DXR3

Linksys 10/100 LAN card

The problem here is that Creative doesn't maintain promises. LiveWare 3 for Windows 2000 was initially expected for Windows 2000 release, on February 17, but then we got that ****ing bogus LiveWare 1/2 mix in the end of March. Creative said that LiveWare 3 would come out mid-May, then it was delayed to mid-June. Well, it's the 22nd of June today, and I'm waiting for LiveWare 3 for Win2k since February 17...

What I don't like about the actual drivers:

- Many DirectX games have audio syncronisation problems.

- The MIDI port doesn't work well/at all with the ACPI HAL.

- Try to make DirectMusic test with dxdiag... humm...

- The driver doesn't support EAX

- The supplied software is far away from LiveWare 3's features

There was, once, LiveWare 3 for NT by Anthony Toste... although it worked only in APM mode, that worked much better.

Creative: WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO IN MORE THAN FOUR MONTHS???!??!?!??!?!??

"As for DVD, it is a consumer product, not a business product. Be happy there is any dvd support at all in win2k."

Am i the only person on the planet who totally disagree's with the bracket that windows 2000 seems to have been put into by certain people? Time and time again, this whole _argument_ regarding win2k's status as a _business_ product comes up, and time and time again it bugs the living hell out of me... am i not a consumer? i imagine that a fair few percent of the people who read and contribute to this board aren't actively using win2k as a business operating system, and a whole board of games posts certainly seems to point in that direction.

I'm sorry, but it is not okay for any manufacturer to sit back and say, "well, its a business OS, we have no real need to support it" -- what a load of crap.

What catagory does windows 2k fall into then? well in my opinion it falls into the "extremely stable, pretty darned quick, very usable and extremely nifty OS" -- to call it either consumer of business it totally wrong, and to use either definition as an excuse for poor support from either the business or consumer manufacturing market is pisspoor to say the least.

AngryMatt.

Name a company that regularly releases drivers on time? The rule of thumb in the computer industry for time estimates is to come up with an estimate, then double it and add a month to that.

Just because you are having problems doesn't mean that everyone else is experiencing the same problems. Are there problems with the current drivers? Absolutely, but they work well enough to not warrant the whining of some people. The majority of problems you listed are probaby a result of the hackneyed directX support in 2k, and not the SB Live drivers.

"Time and time again, this whole _argument_ regarding win2k's status as a _business_ product comes up, and time and time again it bugs the living hell out of me"

Get over it, MS themselves will tell you it is intended for business users, just as its predecessor WinNT was. If it wasn't, WinME wouldn't exist.

"i imagine that a fair few percent of the people who read and contribute to this board aren't actively using win2k as a business operating system, and a whole board of games posts certainly seems to point in that direction. "

You can use a Lamboghini as an offroad vehicle if you want to, doesn't mean you are right or are using the product as the company originally intended. I'd also be willing to wager a fair amount, that the majority of posts in the games forum, if not this whole board, are from people who pirated their copy of Win2k. I obviously can't easily prove this, conversly, you can't easily disprove this, and I think the odds are in my favor.

I didn't pay $300 for win2k so I could play games on it, nor would I pay that much for any OS simply to play games on. It's simply an added bonus that I can play some of them. If you want guaranteed game compatability, you are using win9x.

"I'm sorry, but it is not okay for any manufacturer to sit back and say, "well, its a business OS, we have no real need to support it" -- what a load of crap."

The bottom line is money. If it doesn't make sound business sense, a company will not do it. Don't expect to see any win2k only games coming out soon, if ever. The vast majority of legitimate Win2k users are businesses, so that is who companies will cater to since that is where their largest audience and potential income is.

[This message has been edited by SpongeMaster (edited 22 June 2000).]

actually Win2K being a business product is a load of crap. Why? Because Windows Whistler is based on WinNT 5, and Windows ME is just a joke because they didnt want to release a A service pack 1 for windows 98 so they just made a new OS to make more money. If Windows NT platform wasnt going to be made for gaming they wouldn't base Windows Whistler off NT 5 they wouldn't scrap the whole 9x line if NT 5 wasnt going to be made for gaming. They wouldn't put in full Dx media support if multimedia devices such as DVD players, video capture cards, digital cameras, and other things if it was "just for businesses". Companies that put out NT5 products have a greater advantage when 1 year from now Windows Whistler hits the shelves. What are they gonna do then?? Say this is just a everything OS game,apps,business apps. multimedia things and not support it? Failure to support NT 5 will hurt companies in the long run.

Now drivers, you say what company hasn't released drivers that aren't on time..I can name plenty Nvidia for one, RealMagic, MS, and plenty of others. Creative makes good products but they are always lax on drivers for NT systems.

It's true. Win ME is just a stay of execution for Win 98. Only produced because hardware manufacturers were not making the necessary progress for Win 2k to be the final everything OS. MS didn't plan on releasing it. I just hope MS puts their foot down this time and does not cave by releasing yet another DOS OS. THC is right about the long run. The only improvements that come to mind between Win98 and Win98SE are, internet connection sharing, IE5 and WDM driver support. Do you know why they put WDM in there? Because It's what 2k uses. It's the MS way of saying, "We see you are not taking us seriuosly so we will give you an OS you can make drivers for to get you accustomed to Win 2k". Just think.... Septemeber 14 Win ME comes out. Then no more DOS. All of the sudden no more annual Win9x update version. Next thing you know Whistler is on the scene. Then we'll be using NT til we're dead. Yeah! Unless the government screws it up and I convert to Linux.

Yeah Im wating for the major game makers to start switching to linux...linux is a great server OS, but lacks a lot of the things that NT has such as driver support. Plus linux is free wuhoo!! Not to mention choice of GUIs. Linux is a great OS I just hope that support for it starts growing faster.

ok, I admit.. linux is very flexible,

maybe TOO flexible, takes a lot of time.

o well, who knows what the future will bring

butt, w2k is a step in the good direction.

when i think back to my w98 time i think...

Why haven't I throw that piece of crap trough the window?? smile

seeya

You're right. I think Windows 2000 is the best operating system around (for workstations and desktops at least). This doesn't meen that it's good enough smile

Anyway, I just get angry when I see that big manufacturers like HP and Creative take so long to make win2k compatible drivers for their hardware. They had plenty of time, win2k has been under development for a couple of years...

Windows 2000 is the OS of the (near) future. Not Win9x, we don't want that crap! I really hope for Microsoft and for everybody that there won't be a Windows ME "sequel"... we got enough **** around. Why don't they work on removing bugs in Win98 instead of developing other crappy OS?

That's all, I'll wait for the new (and really working) Creative drivers and many others... I guess my computer peripherials will be fully supported and somewhat working not before October. Well, I'm going on vacation ;-)

Cheers

Seba