Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
halen

Turning off Monitor function and Monitor Driver under Win2k

Ok, I've posted this problem all over the place on other forums and haven't gotten an answer yet. I'm using a CL 3D Blaster TNT2 ultra with the latest 5.30 ref. drivers from Nvidia. I've got 2 problems and they're probably related. 1.) Windows 2000 will not shut my monitor off, no matter what time I set it for in the Power control panel (It did work at one time)... 2.) In the Advanced section of the Settings tab in the Display control panel, I can no longer go to the Monitor tab and click the Properties button. It is grayed out. So I can't change the driver of my monitor at all.

I've gone back to the OS drivers for my video card, I've tried all kinds of other versions, and no luck. If I reinstall the original Win2000 drivers for the video card and go in the monitor section right away, I can change it, and the monitor will turn off, but as soon as I change the resolution and reboot, it goes back to the way it was.

I also have a CL Encore DVD kit with the 6x drive and DXR3 card. I'm using the recently released beta drivers for that. I have a SBLive Value with the Liveware2000 drivers for it.

Any ideas as to fix this problem? Anyone?

Thanks,

Dave A.

I have the same problem.........I read in the book "Practical windows 2000 professional" by Ed Bott that windows 2000 uses generic drivers called Default Monitor and Plug and play Monitor for all monitors.....and that in normal circumstances you should never need to install drivers for a monitor

w2kpro

tnt2 u with 5.30 drv

creative labs encore drx3 wtih their w2k beta drv

hauppauge wintv

256 mb ram

PII 450

The problem with that is that I even just recently installed over 20 Win2k workstations at a site and every single one of them has the option to change the monitor driver. I have a 17" with BNC connectors, so the DDC auto-detect-plug-n-play thing doesn't cut it.

Can't help ya, same problem here ... I noticed it happening tho after I reboot after I either install the drivers for my video card (V3) or after I install my DXR3 ... Can't remember which it happened after, but its there before I start installing other stuff ... Or was it after I installed my SB Live? LOL, anyways, I'm sure its a driver problem with something else, oh well ...

Don't know that this will help anything, but the Creative Dxr3 beta drivers are about as buggy as you can get. Even to the point of kidnapping (as best I can describe it) some of the video codecs. Only solution, the ONLY solution to that problem that I've found is a complete reformat/reinstall of Win2K.

Again, it may not have anything to do with your problem, but then again...they call them "beta" for a reason. frown

mine just started doing this. i updated my nvidia drivers (cl geforce ddr) from 5.16 to 5.30. after reboot, my monitor had an exclamation saying no drivers were installed so i let windows install its own and now my monitor doesnt show up in device manager like it used to (used showed up as plug n play monitor). it also doesnt go into powersave now. so i think its video driver related.

I'm pretty much convinced now that its a video driver issue. From what I can tell it is seperate from the driver files or the known registry keys, because I've even tried to go back to the 5.13 reference drivers and the original Creative Win2k drivers and the problem doesn't go away. I've been trying to reference between my home PC (the one with the problem) and my work Laptop, which has the properties button and has the driver in device manager, to find any differences in the registry. If and when I find anything, I will post it here first.

ok, i uninstalled the 530, rebooted and installed the 516. no reboot was needed after this so i didnt. went to device manager and the monitor was listed with an ! and it said no driver was installed. so installed the pnp monitor. again no reboot needed. i setup my resolution and refresh, everything is good. set monitor power down to 1min and waited. viola, monitor goes off. i restarted my computer to see if everything stayed the same. i turn the computer off at night, so it was going to be shut down eventually. anyway, after the reboot the monitor is gone from device manager and it no longer shuts off. i did the same reinstalling the 530 and it worked until a reboot; then the monitor is gone from device manager. and of course i cant manually add a monitor cuz the add hardware wizard lists every conceivable device to add except monitors. i tried rightclicking and installing the monitor.inf file but nothing happened. this pisses me off cuz i leave the computer on during the day and i like powersave to kick in when im away for a while. anyone have some thoughts?

as a side note, i tried the uninstall hardware wizard and told it to show hidden devices. i had 4 instances of "standard monitor." i removed them all but it didnt help any.

[This message has been edited by Me (edited 27 June 2000).]

smile

[This message has been edited by Me (edited 27 June 2000).]

Using Nvidia 5.25 drivers on TNT2 Model 64, have also SB Live gamer and no problems with the default monitor driver and hibernate. Have a Intel BX-2 m/board, have you got a via chipset?

Using Nvidia 5.25 drivers on TNT2 Model 64, have also SB Live gamer and no problems with the default monitor driver and hibernate. Have a Intel BX-2 m/board, have you got a via chipset?

I'm using an Abit BH6 which uses the 440BX Intel chipset, so its not a chipset problem.

I talked today with a tech from Creative and he told me that this problem is a bug that's been present in the Nvidia drivers since 5.22. He says that it will probably be fixed in the next revision, although he didn't say who's revision, CL's or Nvidia's. I have the feeling that whatever the bug is, it isn't removed by standard uninstallation procedures, since downgrading doesn't seem to help, except for the first instance of a reinstall before a reboot, where it works for a bit.

As far as you, Cuke, did you ever install 5.22? I think that 5.25 and 5.30 don't have the bug, but also don't remove it if you are upgrading from a 5.22 installation.

The guy from CL did say that they've been hearing a lot about this one, and that they should be fixing it real soon. I won't be holding my breath.

Used all of the Nvidia versions of the drivers starting from 3.78, about when I got the card, up until 5.25, not going to use 5.30 until I am convinced it is ok.

Chris

PS sorry about the duplicate posting

Ok, now I am starting to wonder if this problem doesn't have more to do with the beta DXR3 drivers for the Encore kit. Chris do you have the DVD decoder?

If this is the case, then I'll probably go back to the old Hollywood Plus/NT 4.0 hack and be happy again. I never had ANY problems with that setup other than a few lame messages in event viewer but complete funcionality regardless.

Does anyone know when the final release of those DXR3 drivers will be out?

Nope, maybe that is the difference between our systems, certainly it would harm to eliminate all other devices first, see if the changes have an effect, then start a process of re-installation one-by-one.

Chris

Ooops, read 'wouldn't harm' lol whisky and writing in forums ain't compatable, :-).

Chris

woohoo! i fixed my monitor problem! at the same time i did that 530 driver upgrade, i also disabled (in device manager) my hollywood+ so i could try out hibernate support. as u may know, the hollywood beta drivers remove hibernate. in anycase, hibernate doesnt work with the nvida drivers, but i never re-enabled my hollywood+. i enabled it just now, and my monitor now shows up in device manager as plug'n play and powersave works! even after a reboot! so perhaps your problem is related your dxr3 (hollywood+ in disguise).

I'm pretty sure that the problem is related to a combination of the CL beta drivers for the DXR3 and nvidia drivers. Or maybe just the DXR3 drivers. However, is there a good way to go from the beta drivers back to the old Hollywood+/NT 4.0 hack?

I got it!

It absolutely has to do with the beta Creative DXR3 drivers. I uninstalled the card from my device manager, used the "Show hidden devices" option in the device manager and removed all items beginning with enc2*, and deleted all files from the WINNT folder that started with enc2*, as well as the oem .inf file for their drivers. Then I removed the Encore DVD player using Add/Remove programs, rebooted, installed the Hollywood Plus drivers when Win2k detected the Multimedia device, rebooted, and then installed the NT4 player (still available on CL's website) and the Encore kit works fine, as well as I have my monitor driver back and it DOES go to sleep. I guess Creative still has some work to do.

/me smiles. smile

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

I found that if I don't install the drivers for NT4 as well, the video plays, but the sound is choppy and movies will lock as well. As soon as you install the drivers for NT4, you lose the monitor again. So, I did some work and I found exactly which driver is killing it. It is the enc2filt.sys driver, which is apparently not completely necessary for the Encore to funcion, since I disabled it in Win2k's device manager and now movies play smooth as silk, and my monitor remains. Hope someone from Creative reads this, I'll probably post something in their DVD newsgroup as well.