Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

What is it with lack of SCSI devices?

I'm the proud owner smile of a Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD ROM drive.

A friend of mine is looking for a similar drive, he too likes the slot-loading variety.

A quick check on Pioneer's web site shows that my model has been replaced twice, first with a unit running at 10x DVD and now the latest version running at 16x DVD.

Are either of these drives available as SCSI units?

No.

Atapi only.

So what gives, is it the end of the line for SCSI?

I run my HD's on IDE ATA-66 controllers, but my internal ZIP, CD-RW & DVD drive are all SCSI.

I plan on keeping them that way.

Does anybody else know of a slot-loading SCSI DVD drive similar in spec to the latest offerings from Pioneer?

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Try the Plextor brand. Their stuff is for SCSI so you should not have a difficult time finding or using them

I have a Scsi Toshiba 10x DVD drive. Finding scsi related stuff is not hard, you just need to know where to look. Try the mom and pop computer stores. Or you can try this web site.

http://www.cdw.com

I think you guys missed the fact that he wants a slot-loading DVD for SCSI. AFAIK, pioneer is the only company that makes slot-loading cd/dvd drives. I have the 10x DVD atapi version, and it's great! Don't know about your scsi problem though.... maybe you should contact pioneer. They're not going to make scsi drives if they don't seem to be in demand......

I can't seem to find a way to contact pioneer smile

They don't list any e-mail addresses at all on their web site.

They don't have an office here in the UK.

When the 10x DVD drive was announced I just assumed the SCSI version would follow.

Then when the 16x was shown, once again I just assumed.....

I just love SCSI DVD/CD - CD-RW, it's almost impossible to burn coasters this way.

Ah well, I'll just have to give the US office a call some time I guess.