Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Meatball

Poor GeForce performance

Hi,

I have a 32Mb ASUS GeForce, ASUS P5AB super 7 board, 64Mb SDRAM with a Cyrix MII P300 CPU. I run Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 98, but I prefer 2000. I find games like NFS5 Porche run very slow even at 640x480.

What is causing it to run so slowly?

What can I do to make it run faster without spending too much?

What kind of framerate are you getting?

Does your motherboard support AGP 4x? If so, make sure it is enabled.

Meatball, I hate to say it but it's the processor man. If you are willing to spend that much money on a vid card, you should pick yourself up an athlon system if you really want to see what that card can do. You can even just get a 500 or 600 Mhz. for very cheap.

But, i know for a fact that this processor is your bottleneck and it is slowing your whole machine down. Hope this helps.

I don't know about that. I just recently aquired a GeForce and replaced my TNT2 and got minimal performance gain. In fact my D3D test scores are even 25% lower than the TNT2!! I'm currently building a 750 Athlon and plan to do a side by side of the TNT2 and the GeForce. So I will have perfect numbers here promptly. I'll post them and eveyone can let me know what they think.

You're not sure about that? Dude, are you on crack wink its CYRIX man CYRIX Im suprised his computer posts.

-SuperG

------------------

System Specs: Kicks the crap out of yours.

OK. My results show conclusively that the GeForce IS running slower than my TNT2!!

My test conditions are:

ran tests in both Win98SE and Win2K

Detinator 2 Offical Release

TNT2 card is a Diamond V770 32meg flashed with NVIDIA reference BIOS

GeForce is a Guillemot 3D Prophet SE 32meg

One system was a K6-3 450 w/ 128megs PC100

Other was a 750 Athlon (.18micron) w/ 128 megs PC133

Both systems had identical tweak settings. Both had 2X AGP and 100mhz FSB

The tests were done using the latest Wintune.

The TNT2 stedily performed 25% better than the GeForce in all D3D tests

in Win2K, the OpenGL ran about 20% faster on the Geforce, but in Win98 it was also 25% slower

Personally, I think I'm going to go with a Voodoo card next. I'm desiding which one to order today.

Meatball:

Get a new CPU. I have a Cel2 566@850 working beautifully and it only cost me $155 Canadian. Another alternative is the Duron. Really if you are gonna pay that amount for a video card you should have a CPU that can feed it info at an adequate rate.

Alright, I spend this afternoon playing with the tweek settings on the Athlon

I was finally able to get the GeForce to go faster than my TNT2. The best numbers I could come up with are the GeForce gained 10% speed over the TNT2 in both OpenGl and D3D.

10% is not what I'd call very impressive numbers though. frown

BTW - all my test were done in 1024x768 in 16bit color

After reading the messages, I have visited my local PC store and have come home with a new PC!

New ATX case, AMD Athlon 850, ASUS KX-133 motherboard and 256Mb RAM!!!!!! I installed my ASUS GeForce but the PC would not boot up. I had to install Windows again to get it to work. I had been saving for a new PC and you guys talked me into it! I see what you mean about my Cyrix CPU, my games run really fast now.

Hey Gosu tester over there.

You are right. A TNT2 is not all that slower than a GeForce in 16bit. But did you ever try 32bit? Or High Poly situations?

I guess not, or else you would have noticed the big performance hit with the TNT2 and the slight one with the GeForce...

I have both TNT2 Ultra and just purchased Asus6800(GeForce 32meg DDR). I want Asus 7700 but will wait until prices drop.

I read on many boards there is not much difference between TNT2 and GeForce, but I have to disagree. The GeForce is a much better card and can handle much higher resolutions and colour depths.

I can play NFS5, MCM2 and Vampire in 1600X1200x32 with all options on high and very good framerates. The best I could get from TNT2 was 1280x1024x16. If a person only has a 17" monitor they will never need this power, but 19" and up owners will.

Prices are getting very good on the DDR GeForces. I got the Asus6800 for US$197.00 and there are likely better prices out there than I found.

I am not impressed with geforce cards personnally i have a p3 500 with 128 megs of ram tnt2u with 32 megs of ram and with the core and memory of the tnt card overclocked 20 mhz in windows me and it povides a high framrate on all 32 bit color high res situations. Placed next to my friends p3 550 with 128 megs of ram and geforce ddr with 32 megs of ram my sys actually looks and feels smoother in q3 sof q2 nfs5 you name it. Althought he has winblows98 that could be the problem. My next gfx card will be the v5 6000 i can't wait.