Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
A-guy

NTLDR MISSING - Please help

Hi this is the second time this has happened to me I have a dual boot and for some reason I rebooted and it said ntldr missing when I booted up. I tried to repair it but I dont have an emergency disk. I have fixed a boot sector before from the command console by hitting fixmbr then fixboot. This did not work this time. Im am at a loss it is set up just the way I need it I really dont want to reformat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is the file there?

If so then use bootpart from http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm to repair it from dos/win9x

If not you'll need to either get the file off the cd, or a bootdisk, then put it at root (c:\)

Try putting the CD back in and select repair, again.

If you've messed about with partition magic or something similar if you put a windows partition past the 6.4GB point (1024 cylinders) it can not be booted.

well ntldr of course smile

do a dir /a /p to check, as its hidden. (in dos)

Bootpart will build a new boot.ini if needed.

Also make sure ntdetect.com is there as well.

If its not there it's in the I386 folder uncompressed either on your harddrive (only if your lucky, or well prepared for re-installls) or on the cd.

Thanks for your help. I couldnt fix it with bootpart. ntldr wasnt there so what I did was run win2k setup from within win98 and when it rebooted I chose win98 in the multiboot. Then I added this line to boot.ini manually.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

and deleted the other setup line.

LOL. I know it probobly couldve been done a better way but I just couldnt get bootpart to work. I must have done something wrong.