Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DOScrash

Nvidia Detonator 5.22 and 5.30 kernel crashes.... (nv4_disp.

Hello. Under Windows 2000 Professional, after using the 5.22 or 5.30 Detonator 2 drivers for a while (20-30 minutes), my computer blue screens and kernel dumps everytime. I've tried some tests to see if it was overheating, bad drivers or bad software. Here's what I've done:

I booted up Windows 2000 Profesional and left i on without any activity. No crashes occured and I stopped observing it after an hour.

I then started a Winamp song in the background and the computer crashed within a half an hour.

Under normal use (i.e. opening up windows, browsing the web) it crashes within 20-30 minutes everytime.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I would gladly appreciate any help on the subject. I tried the Microsoft drivers but the OS freezes up during startup. Also, I'm told that Microsoft drivers have no OpenGL or Direct 3D suppport which I greatly need for games.

------------------

AMD K-6 550mhz

128mb PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 8.6gb

Mitsumi 4048TE CD-RW

Toshiba 40x CD-ROM

Asus P5A Socket 7 motherboard

This is a well-known symptom. The P5A does not supply enough 3.3 Volts power to the AGP bus.

You may try:

- downclock the TNT2U (bad)

- update to latest ALI agp drivers

- flash the Guillemot TNT2U special bios (have a look at their site, this bios will downclock default speed)

- read the faq at www.tweak3d.net/faq/index.shtml

they give a hint re P5A and other sh***y ALI-based boards.

Change your mobo.

Sorry frown