Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
80sgamer

80 min CDr's and windows 2000

Hey all,

i'm a multimedia developer and have created several programs on 80 min disks in 98 just fine however when i burn them in 2000, it burns fine but when i go to run the cd it won't read i've tried in a dvd rom, a cdrw drive and a 32x panasonic drive. Has anyone else had any problems with 80 min disks and win2k?

Thanks all

-80sGamer

I have not had any problems at all burning in W2K.

I use:

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Nero 4.0 - Software

No problems here either. I can also overburn them about 7 meg with out problems, and these are all generic 8X 80 min.

Plextor 4/12, Plextor 12/20 and Pioneer DVD-115

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sgamer:
Hey all,

i'm a multimedia developer and have created several programs on 80 min disks in 98 just fine however when i burn them in 2000, it burns fine but when i go to run the cd it won't read i've tried in a dvd rom, a cdrw drive and a 32x panasonic drive. Has anyone else had any problems with 80 min disks and win2k?

Thanks all

-80sGamer

What burner are you using? Did you update your firmware and ASPI? I have no problems buring also smile I always use the 80 min disks smile

------------------
Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
Dual Intel Pentium III 850
512 MEGS of ECC RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive
Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive
Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)
Roland Sound Canvis SC-55
3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card
Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32
Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM
Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

I have a hp8100 and i can burn them fine its just they won't read after i burn them in 2k. They read in any win98 machine just not my 2k machine. Any ideas THANKS GUYS!

I got a couple of ideas:

1. Download and run aspichk.exe from ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/pub/BBS/winnt/ This will tell you if you have the lastest ASPI drivers (1021). If not then update them with aspi32.exe in the same ftp.

2. Now load the recorded cd into your cd-rom.

3. Open My Computer. Right-click on an empty part of the My Computer background and select refresh. You should hear it reading from your cd-rom drive. I know this sounds stupid but Win2k doesn't seem to auto refresh as well as win98 did (for me at least).

Also, can you read standard 650Mb CDRs in win2k?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sgamer:
I have a hp8100 and i can burn them fine its just they won't read after i burn them in 2k. They read in any win98 machine just not my 2k machine. Any ideas THANKS GUYS!

This problem is only isolated only with the HP8100 only correct? If the Burned CD cannot be perfectly read by the other CD-ROM drives, than this is definately a Firmware and ASPI problem. Go to the HP site for updates and are you using a SCSI card for the burner or a EIDE interface? If you are using SCSI card makesure you get the new Windows 2000 drivers from adaptec ( if it is an adaptec card smile ) If this doesn't work after you update or if there isn't an update available then continue to use 98 till an update is available smile If this doesn't help let us know about it.

------------------
Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
Dual Intel Pentium III 850
512 MEGS of ECC RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive
Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive
Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)
Roland Sound Canvis SC-55
3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card