Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkhard1

WINDOWS 2000 PCI NOT WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a problem with windows 2000 picking up my modem.... i thought it was a driver prob. b/c i didnt have the drivers but it turns out that after finding the drivers the problem still remains at the PCI,,,, when i start windows it always detects the new hardware the hardware that ir finds is "PCI simple communications port" it looks for drivers but it never finds them. I tell it to disable the device and check it when windows starts. It detects it every time windows starts but never finds a driver ... it is listed as an Other device in my device manager... i have never heard of a driver for a PCI port ,,but what do i know ,, if anyone has ever encountered this prob. please let me know....... Thanks, Sparkhard

Put your modem into another slot.. Like it or not, not all PCI slots are equal.. Some pci slots share irqs and resources with other things on your motherboard, and that may bring incompatibilities.

For instance, I have a 100Mbit Linksys Network card which I put into a slot that used to hold a 10Mbit generic networkcard. That slot was fine with the old network card but with the linksys, win2k always never found the driver when I pointed it to the disk. I put the linksys card into the slot above it and tried it again and boom, it found the networkcard drivers on the disk!

I guess it has something to do with how the motherboard communicates with the card to gather the info needed to make driver placement..

So Just try sticking the modem into another slot.

hope that helps..

mr_yellow

The "PCI simple communications port" is PCI Modem