Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pivko

strange things happening in W2K

i would like to share my experience with win2k. i'm running AMD K6-II@350 MHz with 64 MB RAM, RIVA TNT, sound Creative PCI 128, MB ASUS P5A (latest BIOS), and PLANET ENW8300 network adapter. w2k is installed in ACPI mode. even though all this HW is listed as w2k fully compatible, from time to time system randomly dumps the memory and restarts or (and that's the strangest) the screen locks up. but it's not the total lock-up as we know it from W9x, the screen is just not active, pressing win key or ALT-TAB usually helps as well as running the task manager. i would be really curious if someone of you encountered the same situation?

pivko

Have a look in the event veiwer in the administrative tools to see whats going on.

I have virually the same system as yourself, and the usual blue screens are caused by either fastfat.sys, win2k.sys, or nv4.sys the basics of it is we have a socket 7 system which is ancient (no matter how new) which is not fully ACPI compliant (whatever anyone says) and has lots of "inverse-bugs" (where intel makes a bug, MS caters for it, but when a non-intel system doesn't have that "characteristic" things go pear-shaped)

Most causes are memory faults, the CPU overheating. Remember the K6-2 is only good for sitting Idle. Make it work hard for more than 5 minutes and it will crash. Too see this just play a game, run seti@home, or something similar.

A quick look in my event veiwer shows that my CDRoms are having lots of controller errors, there are lots of "paging" faults and countless bits and pieces of faults, warnings and such like...

------------------

System Spec:

FIC VA-503+ 1.1b bios JE438

CPU Current Limiter Disabled

AMD K6-2 550 (300 when I talk to FIC tech support)

128Mb SSi PC100

STB Velocity 4400 16Mb PAL TV-Out

Hauppauge Wintv

Realtek 8029 LAN

Creative ES1371 (PCI64v)

56.6K (AkA 44k) ISA Modem

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24)

Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb

LS120

and com and lpt i/o conflict error during bios startup.

Hardware fault caused by win2k beta3 and dodgy bios, now irrepairable.

well. but i do not have such entries in event viewer. when i get a blue screen and restart it doesn't usually show which driver caused it. but this is not what bug me most. i know, that this system has yet driver problems, and it will take some time, before the drivers are quite stable. what concerns me more are those desktop lockups. there are no errors reported in event manager about that, it's completely undocumented. nothing crashes either - all the applications are normally running, i just cannot click the mouse to change active window etc.