Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

NEW TOPIC!

I thought since no one has posted any real topics of interest I would give us something new to discuss or fight over.

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Why are people replacing there Geforce Cards with Voodoo 5 cards?

Have I missed something?

------------------

My System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

256 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

SB Live Platinum

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hurcules Geforce 2 64meg

The only reason I would do change would be for Glide support. But if you took Glide away from ANY Voodoo card they would be a total bucket of crap.

They have always sucked at D3D (have a look at UT in D3D on a Voodoo X card) and looked as ugly as a hairy ******* in OpenGL

Greggy

PIII CuMine 550E @ 733/133, Abit BF6, 256Mb RAM, WinFast GeForce 2 GTS, 20Gb Seagate Baracuda II IDE, MX300, Intel 10/100, Win 2000 Pro

Maybe because people prefer Full screen antialiasing done in Hardware, and not in Software mode, like Geoforce cards :-).

BTW: Glide sucks! Use OpenGL instead!

I used to be a 3dfx fan in the past. I have owned Voodoo 1 and SLI Voodoo 2s.

I have been upset by the incredibly low level of support for these board not to speak about limitations of color depth and resolution.

I don't even say anything about Win2K support. 3dfx have left their customers in the dark.

My life changed when I bought my first TNT2, then TNT2 U, then GeForce SDR and DDR.

Next step will be NV20/25 or whatever, for sure.

I hate 3dfx. They have betrayed me.

When I am consulted about the choice of a video card, I always warn people to stay away from 3dfx products.

If you have a look at their own user forum, you shall understand what I mean. Very few people seem to be happy with the way they take (no)care of their customer base.

For me they are dead. Period.

hey since we are talking about video cards maybe some one can help me..... I have a choice between a VooDoo 3 3500 16mb AGP or a Riva TNT2 8mb AGP,, i am curious as to what would be better the Voodoo has the video capture that i like but i know that the TNT has a better proccesor,, is the better proccesor goin to make up for the less amount of VRAM ????? let me know what you think, Sparkhard

Here is something funny for you.

3DFX is currently valued at $217.2M, whereas NVidia is worth $5.26B.

Put another way, NVidia is worth 24 times more than 3DFX.

(NASDAQ symbols, TDFX and NVDA respectively)

Here's a chart I hope people will agree with.

I've grouped the video cards by generation.

Best video card depending on processor speed.

<600Mhz: voodoo3

>600Mhz: TNT2

Why: voodoo3 has the power to provide high framerates at low resolutions with lower power processors. Until you get up in the higher Mhz processors does the 32bit/highrez gaming become playable with the TNT2, in which case, the TNT2 becomes the better chip.

Proof: HL on my friends 300Mhz voodoo3 system plays just as smoothly as my 550Mhz system with a tnt2ultra.

<600Mhz: Geforce/geforce2

>600Mhz: Voodoo5

Why: Geforce now has the power to muscle it's way into better FPS at low and somewhat high rez's on low end systems. Voodoo5 coughs at low end. Not until you get to the superMhz systems does voodoo5 start to make it's money with it's FSAA.

Proof: well, I don't actually have any.. but I have seen FSAA in action.. and my opinion is that it's subliminal. You notice (the FSAA) at first but then get used to it and you don't really care for it after it's been on for a while. But after you start playing with it OFF, you realize the ugliness and you don't get used to the ugliness and you keep seeing the edges, over and over again.

Now why is everyone replacing geforces with voodoo5's? Simple. Image quality and their fat wallets. these people have processors that provide them with super fast gaming. Ofcourse, they then realize the jaggedness and want to have FSAA but the FSAA implementation is worse than that of a Voodoo5. Hence, they switch over.

Also I'm guessing most of these people are geforce 1 owners. and we all know that the geforce 1 is mearly a faster TNT card, nothing more(You know it! What are you doing with the geforce1 on a regular basis that I can't do with the TNT2(albeit slower)?). It brings with it fast framerates but still the ugly jaggedness(once you notice it ofcourse).

Anyways, Time for all of you to poke holes in my logic. I'd like to know where I'm wrong so I can correct myself.

Oh yeah, back to w2k support. I always thought the w2k support of 3dfx, although not always as vocal as nVidia, was better. Again, my friend had full control panel support and all the neat functionality with his voodoo3 in w2k waaaay before I even had a stable version of detonators for w2k.

mr_yellow

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I tried to generalize as much as possible. I don't want to fight over specific sh*t like "640 FSAA vs 1024 Non-FSAA", but while I'm talking about that, smile I'd play with fsaa with lower rez. FSAA also eliminates other stuff like edge crawling, pixel popping, which can still be seen at 1024 and higher.

[This message has been edited by mr_yellow (edited 24 June 2000).]

From above: What are you doing with the geforce1 on a regular basis that I can't do with the TNT2(albeit slower)?).

LightWave 3D 6 and Project:Messiah

My Geforce DDR made a HUGE difference in these high end apps as compared with my TNT2Ultra. I can Q3A and LW3D on the same system...very nice.

:}

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon-Lord:
LightWave 3D 6 and Project:Messiah

My Geforce DDR made a HUGE difference in these high end apps as compared with my TNT2Ultra. I can Q3A and LW3D on the same system...very nice.

:}

So what is it that the geforce1 has that makes those apps "better"(remember, i'm not talking speed here)? does Messiah use the onboard T&L engine? I thought it had it's own software engine to do the transform and lighting?

Also, I don't quite see how lightwave 6 would have any extra features on a geforce1 other than speed...

Sorry, but I just gotta ask these questions.

mr_yellow

My TNT does me fine. But in linux the driver installation is way to complex for me. (and I have a degree in electronics). Nvidia show no interest in helping other companies (Be Inc.) Whereas ATI, Matrox, and 3DFX all have Hardware OpenGL drivers near completion for Beos www.benews.com the voodoo 4/5 is also near completion. Nvidia didn't even help with a basic 2D driver for anycard. There is a group of people trying to reverse the Geforce to get basic 2D!

Thats why people buy voodoo cards (3dfx drivers for Beos have always been there), and also matrox G400's