Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ByronT

NVidia drivers and stability

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been here... (been just a little busy - I got married!) Anyway, I thought I throw in my two cents concerning NVidia drivers. Now, I'm a business user mainly so I'm not applying every NVidia Detonator release that just happens to be found on the internet. I'm mainly concerned with getting decent performance with absolute stability <-> read ZERO lockups.

That said, my experience with the 5.22 det drivers was horrendous. I would experience lockups anytime one of two things happened - either mem usage approached 210M or loading 10-15 Lotus 123 files in 123. Either of these instances caused a lockup where my mouse would just lock and the computer would not respond to anything. (Telnet access dead, ftp access dead, etc.) I finally got tired of having to pull the power connection on my computer and started reading news posts here. With all the NVidia posts, I decided to uninstall NVidia first and observe the effects.

The correct way to uninstall NVidia, btw, is first change the drivers in the Display properties to the Microsoft ones. Reboot. Then go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and Remove NVidia Win2k drivers here. Reboot. Only after you have rebooted the second time, have the NVidia drivers been completely uninstalled (even after the first reboot and MS drivers load, NVidia has some handles left in the system and registry.) This will also allow what is considered a "clean" install of NVidia drivers later.

After uninstalling the NVidia drivers, my system became that impossible stable: Currently, I am running 56 different programs with over 362MB of memory in use. (I have had over 60 programs open, and approached 400MB in current mem in use.) I have every MS Office 2000 program open with at least one document in each. I have all my Lotus SmartSuite products open with at least one document in each, and with 30 documents open in 123 (where I was dying the most.) I'm actually considering overclocking my Celery again - one of the first things I "undid" in search of stability.

My system configuration:

Celery 466.

256MB PC100 (running at 66MHz).

Tyan Thunderbird BX S1856 mbd.

Promise Ultra66 - IBM DLTA 307020 (20GB, 7200RPM, 2MB cache) [blazingly fast!].

Buslogic BT-946C SCSI2 Busmaster PCI - Plextor 8/20 CDR, Plextor UltraPlex 40 CD, Plextor 12/20Plex CD, Iomega Jaz 1GB, Iomega Zip 100.

Diamond V770 Ultra (AGP) - Hitachi 19" 751Elite.

Diamond Stealth III S540 (PCI) - Mitsubishi 17" DPlus 71.

USRobotics 56K Faxmodem (ISA).

Intel Pro/100 Management Adapter.

Diamond MX300.

HP ScanJet 4100Cse (USB).

HP LaserJet 6L.

HP DeskJet 970Cse (USB).

And the stability only came back after going to MS drivers for NVidia. After getting some work caught up, I'm going to try the old 3.78 drivers and I'll post results. For the time being though, I'm staying away from the 5.22 det drivers.

Lot's of luck!

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions