Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cryptonium

converting win2k partition to FAT32

Hey guys,

Ever since I got win2k I've been converting my partitions to fat32 and one of the few remaining ones is the one that win2k resides in. I've been hesitant to convert it (i'm using Partition Magic under 98).

So has anyone tried it or has any idea if it's safe or not to convert that partition to fat32 in 98 while win2k is installed in it?

Thanks for any input!

I have win2k installed on my fat32 partition and i have no trouble at all.. however, i would assume that win2k has convered it to NTFS and is using that format, and i would not recomend changing the File system on an existing OS.. i would uninstall it and then make it FAT32 then reinstall win2k,, but you may want to leave it as a NTFS it has its benefits,,

I converted all my partitions to NTFS using the W2K utility and everything went just fine. The main boot partition had to be converted in dos mode. I have not tried partion Magic under W2K so I don't know how it works. But you can use this line at the command prompt.

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

It will tell you that it can not obtain access to the c: drive and that you can perform the function when you reboot.

It worked fine for me.

Paul

------------------

My System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

256 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

SB Live Platinum

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hurcules Geforce 2 64meg

I have win2k installed on my fat32 partition and i have no trouble at all.. however, i would assume that win2k has convered it to NTFS and is using that format, and i would not recomend changing the File system on an existing OS.. i would uninstall it and then make it FAT32 then reinstall win2k,, but you may want to leave it as a NTFS it has its benefits,,

oh and ummmm.... you didnt by any chance have a problem with windows 2k and a PCI driver did you? read my thread and see what you think :-)