Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
draa

One of the USB devices attached to this computer h

My computer is giving me the following error messagage about every 5 seconds: “One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” The problem is, there isn't anything plugged into my USB ports. I've tried uninstalling the "unknown device" that shows up under USB under the device manger, but it just keeps coming back. I've also tried plugging something that works into both of my 2 external USB ports to see if it will reset whatever my computer thinks its detecting, but that doesn't work and both ports are working (detecting the device that I plug in). I've tried clicking the bubble that gives the error message and disabling the undectected device, but the error message keeps coming. I don't know what else to try. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 years ago

and sometimes, suddenly my laptop turns off and a blue screen tellin me that the PC was turned off for security issues... and i read something related to the USB ports stuff...

That sounds like the work of a bad file. I had a worm on my computer around 1 year ago that did exactly that; it would tell me my USB drive was full every time I tried to put my own usb in the drive, and once I took it out under my computer my E drive was always home to this unknown device.

Do you have an apropriate antivirus programe on your computer? I had to download a Bullguard trial to get rid of the worm, might do you some good smile

Good luck!

Oh, Also, next time you are given the blue screen record the error number and command because it is much easier to identify the problem this way smile

for example ***STOP 0x000000005 may appear.