Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Furious

APM and Win2K

I'm now on my second install (thanks Toby) which is working fine. One problem has reared it's head: I can't set my computer onto standby and when I shut down, just after Windows disappears, the kernel crashes, so my PC doesn't power down. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this BSOD problem? I don't have any harware problems (so it tells me) and I don't want to reinstall again.

we need to see your system specs to help you out. also a copy of your IRQs would not hurt

My first install had APM and ACPI working fine, but registered the CPU speed as 225 rather that 450.

Specs:

K6-III 450

Gigabyte GA-5AX mobo

160MB RAM

2 Fujitsu HDD

Voodoo 3 3000

Soundblaster Live!

Realtek 10Base-T ethernet card

I'll get a copy of the IRQs when I can get home to my PC.

Thanks.

Mr Furious

Right, here's the lowdown:

My ACPI controller takes IRQ 9 and doesn't share with anything.

If I install Win2K and let it choose it's own options, then I get ACPI, but my CPU registers as 225MHz rather than 450MHz. This means I can't play games.

If I press F5 on setup and select "standard PC", I get the CPU speed fine and NO ACPI, hence no standby option etc...

Changing the computer type in the Device Manager to ACPI support from standard PC caused both my boot partitions (Win98 and Win2K) to fail, so I had to repartition my drive and install Win98 again.

Basically, and excuse my language, screw Windows 2000. I'm going back to clunky old WIndows 98!

Did you check your mobo manufacturer's website for a bios update?

Yep. My 'board is a Gigabyte GA-5AX. The latest BIOS on the website is version F3, released Jan 2000, that SAYS it fixes a Win2K/ACPI problem. It, err, doesn't. I'm not going to bother emailing them since when I've had problems before, they've completely ignored me. Any ideas?

Don't feel bad, I also have a GigaBYte MB (6VX-4X) and their "supposed" fix for it with Win2k doesn't work here, either....Been battling this one for about 4 months now..... frown

I have have the same problem with w2k not shutting down properly. I have an Amd 450, GA-5AX M/B, and a Realtek card. I have found if I shutdown my nt4 server before my w2k box, my w2k box won't shutdown properly. If I shutdown my w2k box before I shutdown my server my w2k box shutsdown properly. I have installed the realtek driver patch from microsoft. But still have this problem. I think it has something to do with the nic driver or a link to the server, but I'm not sure.

Could you tell me where this patch is on the Microsoft website? I've just had a look and I can't find it. If I remove or change my network card will ACPI work properly?

Could you tell me where this patch is on the Microsoft website? I've just had a look and I can't find it. If I remove or change my network card will ACPI work properly?