Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blimp

home built computer

Hi,

I'd like to build my own computer, one for a dual boot system using both Linux and Windows.

Could anyone give me a list of hardware components that are compatible and have all the right drivers available,etc?

Now I don't want to spend a fortune as my computing needs are modest. I really want to build something on which to learn Linux so a basic system would suit very well. I would like some expansion capability for the future, of course.

Thanks,

hw:

AOpen AK77-333 ATX

athlon 1800+

2x 256 ddr pc2700 333 KingMax

CD-RW Teac W548E

CD-R Sony 52x

matrox g550

seagate barracuda IV 60 gb

sound blaster audigy

samsung syncmaster 957df

realtek 8139

USB mouse Logitech Optical

USB FlashCard Reader

Lirc (lirc.org) on serial port

distro:

Mandrake 9

conclusion:

runs really fine on these components though to make my Logitech QuickCam Zoom webcam working i had to switch to Mandrake 9.1 (one day i certainly will..)

smile Hi,

Many thanks for your anwer. You've got an interesting set of components there and I'll certainly investigate them all.

As you say it works fine, it will be fine for me.

Thanks again,

Blimp

Pretty much everything thats reasonably popular will have some kind of Linux support, whether it be officially through the original manufacturer or unofficially through the open source community hell, even some less common hardware is supported -- theres a whole section in the kernel devoted to Packet Radio (think the internet over standard UHF Amateur Radio) stuff. Unless you have some really old, really unusual pieces of hardware you shouldn't have any trouble getting any of it working under Linux.