Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

"This device cannot start" error on com ports

i am having a problem with my com1 and com3. they both share the same irq, so i changed com3's irq. when i restart, i went into device manager. com3 has an exclamation mark next to it and when i looked at the properties, it says "This device cannot start." so i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. after it restarts they are sharing the same irq again. so i change it. and i get the same error all over again. the only way i have found to fix this is to delete com1. this is really only a temporary solution because the next time i restart it automatically installs it again. it is very anoying to have to uninstall com1 every time i restart my computer. so does anyone have a permanent solution to this?

thanks,

-Tristan

Goto hardware properties/my computer and update the driver, pick from known hardware the "standard PC" this will disable ACPI which is basically what messes up most com ports. Hibernation will stop working though.

ummm.... COM3 and COM1 are SUPPOSED to have the same IRQ! Thats the way the hardware is designed: COM1/3 share an IRQ and COM2/4 share an IRQ, unless one of the ports is a virtual port (ie COM3 is an internal modem, in which case you would have to just change the IRQ of the modem...).

But otherwise you can only have at most 2 COM ports active (ie using an interrupt) at the same time unless you buy an extra add-in card with more com ports on it.

ok well i should have said that in the begining. com3 is my modem but there is no way to change the irq of my modem in it's properties... is there somewhere else i should be looking?

[This message has been edited by tristan777 (edited 05 June 2000).]

Press Delete during boot to enter bios setup and change the serial 1 port address until it shows up as com4, or reserve irq 4 to prevent the PNP modem from using it, and if its any good it'll pick another IRQ. If it doesn't you have to change the jumpers/switches to manually change the port.