Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kanniball

AMD XP motherboards

Hi! I'm gonna upgrade my k6-3 machine with the new amd xp 2500+ processor and I would like to know what is the best board for my new machine, any based on nforce2 chipset or based in other chipsets that has drect support in kernel, and not only by a pre-compiled modules?

Give your oppinio or post links with the linux reviews (don't post winblow$ based reviews)... thanks! wink

I use an saus a7n8x it works really well

Only minor drawback lm_sensors dont work needs smbus driver which is still in cvs development.

I would go along with linuxboy00 because the abit board uses the Isa bus for the sensor chip

so therefore lm_sensors work with existing drivers.

Nforce2 is definately the best choice.

but smbus works with your board?

I've read that asus takes the best for overclock... so the asus a7n8x deluxe is my choice fo nforce2....

and what about via? their good chipsets...

Quote:
and what about via? their good chipsets...

Via couldn't really make a good chipset if their companies future depended on it, the only reason they're such a big name in Athlon chipsets is because AMD don't really care. If you go AMD, get an nForce board.

If you can do without the extra LAN port or SATA (and theres a good chance you can) then you can save a few bucks by not buying the A7N8X Deluxe but whatever you do, don't buy the regular (non-Deluxe) A7N8X as this uses the lower spec MCP South Bridge and not the MCP-T like the Deluxe. Boards like the EPoX 8RDA+ implement the MCP-T and all its useful functionality (FireWire, nVidia LAN and SoundStorm audio) while keeping the price substantially lower than the A7N8X Deluxe. Avoid the Chaintech 7NJS as well because, while it uses the MCP-T, Chaintech forego implementing the nVidia APU audio in favour of an external sound chip.

I guess there really are varying opinions which is the best.

From the websites that provide motherboard reviews, I got the impression that the Chaintech 7NJS Zenith was a very good board. I read about that sound issue thing.

I think one knock against these nforce2 chipset based boards is the BIOS. Some have said to have problems recognizing certain memory modules like Corsair XMS 3200 DDR-memory.

My old BX based MSI 6163Pro with a Celeron is OK, but I've got upgrade itch.

I'm leaning towards an AMD board, and these nforce2 board look good. A big plus to deciding though would be 100% compatibility with Linux. I hope kernel 2.4.21 comes out real soon with all the device drivers resolved.

Quote:
Hi! I'm gonna upgrade my k6-3 machine with the new amd xp 2500+ processor and I would like to know what is the best board for my new machine, any based on nforce2 chipset or based in other chipsets that has drect support in kernel, and not only by a pre-compiled modules?

Give your oppinio or post links with the linux reviews (don't post winblow$ based reviews)... thanks! wink

Damn I removed my system specs....I am running a Dual Athon 1900+ board (Asus) now with a G4 Ti 4600 and 1 Gig of RAM (PC-333) , latest NVIDIA Drivers for Linux. Gaming has not been the same since, and don't run Windows anymore either. I am stickly Mandrake 9.1 now.

I recently built my system with the NF7. It all works fine with Mandrake 9.1. Install was a breeze. I'm very happy with the system. The proc is FSB 333 and it is fast.

laughlaughlaugh

REL!c2K What type of motherboard are you running? I've only been able to find the Asus A7M266-D which only runs PC2100 ram. Are you using that board and just over clocking? I've been looking at going dual Athlon.