Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[PhoeniX]

I lost Dual Boot, how to restore?

Hello

I had to copy my whole C: partition to a new hard drive. Well something went wrong and I had to re-install Win2000 Pro, after this I was able to boot Win2000, but not Win98. After I choose Windows 98 in the boot menu, I get an error msg: "Invalid System, change disk ...". I have tried to REPAIR Windows 2000 (FIXMBR, FIXBOOT). Didnt help...

Then I took my old Win98 Bootdisc and used SYS (sys a: c :), after this I was able to boot windows 98, but of course not Win2000...

OK, then I tried again to repair Win2000, same thing: Win2000 works, Win98 dont (Invalid System, change disk ...)

Can anyone help ?

I have tried some boot mgr's (that PartitionMagic BootMagic is crap, it said "can't find FAT32 on primary partition" under win2000), and the other are only usefull if you want to boot from different partitions.

bye & thx

Hi,

what is you hd configuration ? Do you have 1 Harddisk and 2 Partitions ? Where is the Win98 Partition ? If you know this, just edit you boot.ini on you boot device. But you tried to repair ... hmm ...

Give me the information and i can tell you what to edit in the boot.ini.

CU

Noope

I have EIDE 30 GB HDD, 3 partitions, Win2000 and Win98 are on same partition c:

Using Win2000 Pro final

ASUS P2B, C466 MHz, 256 MB RAM

bye

P.S: gonna try that winimage tool...

err... i definately wouldnt suggest having both of them on the same partition. i tried that a long time ago and i could never get it to work right.

i would suggest making 2 partitions. install win98 on c: as this seems to be the only partition it will install to and install it first. after that install win2k to e: or whatever your other partition is. it should have both os's on the boot up list and it works fine for me.

It is advised to install Windows 98 and Windows 2000 in a seperate partition. Because both of them share the same Program Files, hence you will likely experience some problem with some commonly shared file. For example, IE5 works on Windows 2000 but not Windows 98. Or the other way round because the files have been conflicted with different version of it