Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mak Man

ATX Problem on Windows 2000

The problem I am having deals with my ATX case. When I had Windows 98 my system would shut off when I selected shutdown in Windows. Now that I have Win2000 Pro my system won't shut off when I select shutdown. Can anybody help me out?

Please email me or ICQ

makman@telusplanet.net

Thanx

Mak.

I checked my non-Plug and Play drivers section in Device Manager (you must choose View->Show Hidden Devices to see them) and found something named TPkd. I uninstalled it and now I have NO problems with Win2K at all. My shutdowns and restarts work right and all of my hardware works correctly.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Additional info: The problem I was having started as a shutdown/restart problem where my system went through the saving settings and windows is shutting down messages and would just get a clean blue desktop and lock. I could hear the hard drive and fan cut off but the system never would shutdown or restart. Then I started having modem problems and video and sound problems. When I installed the SoundBlaster Live drivers I noticed that my floppy was gone. Upon investigating, I noticed that the floppy was conflicting with TPkd under the non-plug and play drivers section of device manager. I have uninstalled the TPkd with no discernable negative effects. As far as I can tell TPkd was provided by Pace Anti-Piracy but I can't tell which program installed it. Everything I run seems to work correctly after it was uninstalled.

I've got the same problem! but I haven't got these option in my device manager!

can anybody help me?

Go to Control Panel>Power Options>APM and select the check box. Works for me.

Thanx for the help. I already figured it out. I had to goto APM and check the checkbox. Todd's solution is correct but too late for me cause I had already figured it out. It should help others with the same problem as me.

Mak