Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bka32

Ensoniq ES1371 problems

I have an Ensoniq ES1371 sound card, and I am trying to enable the microphone for it, but am having no luck. Win2k installs the card as a 1370, and when I change it to 1371, it says its ok, but it doesn't make any sounds, and the CPU maxes out. Has anyone been able to get it to work, and if so, please tell me how! THX

Theres much confusion over the actual drivers that are supposed to be used. There are updated win2k creative drivers for SBAudioPCI, which should be (I assume) for the ensoniq PCI creative labs labeled cards?

I have a SBPCI64v which has the ES1371, and it uses the "Creative AUDIOPCI (ES1371, ES1373) WDM" MS-Supplied drives and the mic works fine. The new drivers also work but the tvtuner volume slider disapeared frown

Check the recording mixer is either using SUM or the mix is selected as the input, and the volume levels are up.

I tried installing the ES1371 drivers and the first time, they didn't work, no sound. The second time, they froze the machine while attempting to install. The time they just didn't make any sound, the device was reported as working fine. This sucks, I need the mic for other purposes and I don't want to go back to 98, mainly because I don't want to fix its sorry ass.

Went back to see if my mic actually still works in win2k (not used it in years; sorry only used it once!). What type of mic is it?

If its a real mic (not a PC one) then the plug should have 2 sections, not like stereo headphone sockets that have three. If it is a normal mic then, I have found that it only works if you don't fully insert it in to the socket. This is because the PC mics usally require a power source (electret condenser types) and thus the socket as three connections. So putting in a 2 way plug will short circuit 2 of the connections. You will need to get an adapter for "stereo break out" or "stereo to two mono(L+R)" and only use one of the lines.

If its a Bog standard PC mic (with 3 connections on the plug) then set microphone boost to on, and set the recording and playback values to non-zero. Also make sure the microphone is set a the active recoring source, or else use "Sum".

Are you sure the Card has a es1371? make sure it does by looking at the chip. It could easily be a es1370/es1373.

Yep, it's a three section mic plug, and it works in a 98 machine right next to me. And the card is also a 1371, because I remember looking it over when I first installed Win2k. The page you showed, only has to do with Win98 and wouldn't deal with Win2k's problems. Anything else? smile

The reason for the web pages was to identify the brand name of the Sound card that you have. As Win2000 is installing the drivers as defined by the PCI cards vendor , subvendor, device, and subsystem IDs. So its a bit hard for it to install the wrong drivers. To find out why the ES1370 driver is being installed is due to the make of the card. As the ES1371, es1370, and es1373 are all similar, its the connections and additional features on the cards that causes the problems.

I know that I have the PCI64v, and from that getting the correct drivers isn't a problem. However, the PCI64D and PCI128 both come in es1370 and es1373 varieties. It is not enough to know that the chip is a es1371, as the mixer and I/O lines can vary even with the same chip.

All I can say is goto sys proerties/update drivers and select either SB AudioPCI, or select PCI64/128. Ignore es1371,1373 WDW, as I assume you've tried them. And find the correct name of the card.

Alrighty, I'll look over the card once more, so you're saying I should try to use the PCI64 and PCI128 drivers as well as the others in attempt to get it working? I know the card is made by Ensoniq, but since Creative's recent aquisition of Ensoniq, Win2k doesn't realize the different makes and models of the cards as it should, this is what is causing the problems I believe, and Creative isn't doing jack to resolve the issues.

Yup.

Creative's site has new audioPCI win2k drivers but they seem to be for "ct" type chips. A bit strange but I tried them anyway. The only problem was that the tvtuner slider was removed. Other than that they were perfect.

Check it out here http://support.soundblaster.com/files/download.asp?OS=Win2k&prod=sb_ensq

PS have you noticed how the number of posts don't change, We're being done.

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 31 May 2000).]

Nope, I haven't noticed that the number of posts haven't changed. I did try the drivers, and they didn't work, in fact, the only thing they did, was installed the disc detector and a different volume controller program. The OS apparently did not allow the drivers to be updated by the program, because I checked and they never changed.