Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
calebb

Internet Conenction Sharing (how-to + a Q.)

I thought I'd let you guys know that I succesfully setup my ADSL connection so my roommate can use it as well. I do have a question at the end as well-

I set it up by installing two network cards (I have a ton of ISA ethernet cards, but for some reason, I could not get two to work, so I bought a PCI card, and both would work. Even with free resources, I'd get the error that one of the cards failed to start properly)

The ADSL connection goes into one, and I have a crossover cable going from my comptuer right to the other (a hub crosses over the cable for you) I clicked the 'share this internet connection' box for the first card, which automatically setup an IP and subnet mask for the other card. Then I put in the gateway and DNS for my ISP. On my roommate's computer, I put in the IP address on the second adpater as HIS gateway, and our ISP's DNS, and the subnet mask that the second adapter used. For his IP address, I added 1 to the gatway (192.168.0.2). Everything worked great! Now for my question... (for those of you still with me)

If I restart my computer, I have no internet functionality, nor does he. If I go and unshare the internet connection, apply, reshare the internet connection, go back to the second ethernet adapter, and repunch in the correct gateway, it works again. This is just a pain to do every time I reset the computer!! Any ideas?

-Caleb

[This message has been edited by calebb (edited 08 November 1999).]

not 100% sure, but read the online docs on MS or even the help file in 2k, I'm sure I've seen this problem raised

can you post a Ipconfig of all PC

Open Dos Prompt "type" ipconfig /all "enter"

If you're using DHCP anywhere you might try turning it off and using static IPs for everything as that might help solve the restart problem.

Ok, I'm not usign DHCP, and I'll just give you the networking info without giving my IP & Gateway for all to see =)

My computer: (Has the DSL)

DSL Ethernet Card (in my computer)

IP: My IP

Subnet: Subnet my ISP gave me

Gateway: My ISP's gateway

DNS: DNS my ISP gave me

Ethernet card sharing the conenction (in my computer:

IP: 192.168.0.1 (Reserverd for local networks, microsoft recommends)

Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (Also recomended)

Default Gateway & DNS are the same as what my ISP gave me.

Ok, now for my roommate's computer:

His IP address is 1 higher than that of the ethernet card sharing the connection ==> 192.168.0.2.

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gatway 19.168.0.1 (since thats the IP of the card sharing the connection)

DNS: Same as my ISP.

Again, it works perfectly wink.gif Even Halflife, Diablo, and other games that verify your IP work perfectly. The only thing that is strange is that I must UNSHARE the connection, apply that. RESHARE the connection, apply that. Then go into my shared netcard and retype in my ISP's gateway (it gets reset to 0.0.0.0)

This is very reproducible, and neccesary every time.

Any thoughts?

-Caleb

its very simple , on your roomates machine do this :

Obtain IP Address Automatically

DNS Setting = blank

Gatewat = Blank

Wins Config = User DHCP

that should fix everything

------------------------------------

IP: 192.168.0.1 (Reserverd for local networks, microsoft recommends)

Subnet: 255.255.255.0 (Also recomended)

Default Gateway & DNS are the same as what my ISP gave me.

you don't need anything in Gateway

I would try add in your IP addrees

under DNS

Ok, now for my roommate's computer:

His IP address is 1 higher than that of the ethernet card sharing the connection ==> 192.168.0.2.

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gatway 19.168.0.1 (since thats the IP of the card sharing the connection)

DNS: Same as my ISP.

-----------------------------------

The frist DNS should be 192.168.0.1

& 2nd DNS should be ISP DNS

I tried Steve09's suggestion. The internet sharing will work ok, but the exact same problem still!

SHS: That makes sense. I just wasnt' sure what to put in on my roommates computer as far as DNS & Gateway so I put the ISP stuff in. There's probably a conflict because too many computers are trying to access the gateway & dns at the same time. I'll let you know if it works!

-Caleb

Here is what I did to get the internet sharing going on my two PC's. I downloaded Proxy+ freeware and loaded it on the computer that is connected to the net. Then the other computer had Iexplorer set to use the proxy connection of 198.168.0.1:4480 With the proxy service running, I would have the other PC go into proxy admin (http://192.168.0.1:4480) and setup the connection. Then they were able to both use the connection. Both pc's had no DNS or gateway entries. The whole time internet sharing box is unchecked (unshared).

[This message has been edited by Tim Bazzinett (edited 11 November 1999).]

Well Tim's way will work because at my work that is the way we have it set up and I believe it is because Proxy takes care of the internet connection sharing for you if you configure it correctly. My roomates and I have 3 computers on a network, mine being the server with a cable modem connection. I have two net cards, one configured for the cable modem and one for the LAN. The LAN is set up for DHCP, DNS, and, Active Directory, and IIS is installed and configured. I'm using Win 2K RC2 Advanced Server. To correctly configure the Internet Connection Sharing, I just had to click the box for sharing the connection. This completely set up NAT and authentication and addressing for the other 2 computers on my network. For the other two computers, everything is set by my server. Their IP, Subnet, Gateway and Domain is all gotten dynamically. It all worked great until one day one of the computers on the LAN sharing the connection couldn't access the net anymore even though the other one could, and this was without me changing anything on my server. Then about 4 days later the same thing happened to the other computer. I couldn't get it up and working again until I redid the IP's for the local network. My only reasoning for this is that somehow the Lease on the IP's for the other computers ran out even though it told me in DHCP that their leases were set to never run out. Well I know that was long so I hope you can get something out of that. I've had a lot of experience with this so you can e-mail me if you need more help.

You should also consider whether or not your DSL connection has a static IP or not. Some do not and because of this, your gateway and subnet might change each time you connect. If that is the case, the info on your friends machine might not work properly, etc.. etc.. I only breifly read peoples respnoces and comments, so I might be missing something as to whether ot not your IP is static or dynamic. I'm only saying this so that other people here consider this if they plan on setting up a proxy.

calebb, have you checked to see if any of the ICS services are starting in your services manger?

Just search for 'Internet Sharing Connection' in the Win2k help file, surpirsingly enough the win2k help file is actually useful and help me set it up. you need to change some settings in internet options in ie, and also for each program you gotta make a service so its internet sharable.

Wow, 6 months later the topic is reborn =)

Yes, thats where I got the info to setup the internet sharing was the win2k help file. I have a static IP. The problem still exists- every 2 days or so I have to disable & re-enable the ics NIC. Annoying, but easier than a third-party program smile

Cheers,

-Caleb

I have the same setup, except that I'm using a cable modem. I have enabled ICS and have told the other 2 computers to obtain automatically, and in IE I told it to automatically check for proxy settings. Though there is no proxy service installed, ICS acts like one. I have two PCI cards, not ISA, I found that ISA caused a similar problem to that of yours, put in a PCI and boom, it works. Good luck, and hope this helps!

Hey everyone,

I never said thanks for all the replies to my question.

...only six years late: thanks!

-Caleb