Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KnYnE

win2k drivers for Voodoo 5500?

Will there be win 2000 support, anyone know? Web site says nothing about it.

I took this from my response about the Rage Fury MAXX and edited it slightly...

It is possible to have multi-chip video cards in Windows 2000. However, in order to accomplish this, a hardware device needs to operate on the video card that handles resource delegation (usually called a bridge, or proxy). All communications to the video card are routed through the proxy, and not directly to the individual chips (similar to the MPS spec. for multi-processor compatibility). This proxy feature can be enabled in the chipset itself, and functionally changes the board into a Master/Slave model.

3DFX's Voodoo 5 will operate fine under Win2K *if* it includes this aforementioned capability. However, I am not familiar with the board design so I can't provide accurate information.

... In other words, don't buy the Voodoo 5500 assuming that Win2K support will be available. Hold off until definite Win2K drivers are publicly downloadable, or get a GeForce 2 since they are almost twice as fast anyway wink

Also even if 3dfx says they are adding Win2K support, don't believe them until the drivers are released. ATi announced similar drivers for the Rage MAXX, only to recently issue a statement that it wasn't possible.

They will have win2k drivers for the V5500 available for download around its launch date, according to an inside source.