Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shrink

New P3B-F Upgrade Install Pro?

I am going to pick up an Asus P3B-F tomorrow and have a nice stable Win2k Pro install at this time. What is the best way to install a new mobo without a complete reinstall from scratch (apps and all)? Would booting with a boot disk doing a winnt.exe install maintain app settings while up[censored] hardware settings? If not, what would be the best method to avoid a complete reinstall? BTW, I am upgrading from another generic Soltek BX chipset mobo. Thanks!

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I've already done that but it was from a BP6 to another BP6 (same board type, different bioses) with a repair install.

All apps stayed there.

All third party drivers were reinstalled.

I believe it should be OK for you as far as it is the same chipset on the old and the new board.

The only prob could come from too different bioses.

If it is the case, then the best solution is to do a reinstall on top of existing installation. Apps should stay there.

In both case, my advice would be to remove critical 3rd-party drivers (at least video) before.

Anyway, I think it is worth trying as it should not do any harm.

Thanks Frogmaster - that is what I suspected. Win2k appears not to be as pissy about this as win9x was. I will just do another install overtop the existing one and cross my fingers. Should this be done as a repair and reinstall or install over the existing install (which are the only 2 options from command prompt)? I have also heard that win2k is often able to just auto detect all the changes at boot and reconfigure everything (something that wn9x was rarely able to do). Should be interesting! Thanks

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

hehe, changing mobo and other hardware in w2k is really fun smile just shut down, replace the mainboard, and start it up normally. After one or at max two restarts you are done.

I did so when i upgraded from my p3b-f to an athlon mobo.

Only had to reinstall the nvidia drivers afterwards, but all other drivers remained...

I know :-) It was a beautiful sight and went exactly as you said (though I bought a be6-II instead). This is what win9x should have been able to do.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Great choice on motherboards, I ran one for 8 months untill I went dual PIII 733

You should be able to just swap MB and start the system back up with no problems.

I intend to install W2K on my secondary machine (MSI 6163 pro mobo with celery 466@583Mhz).

What about cloning the W2K partition of my main box to the other one?