Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sensei

Lockups...

In Windows 2000, I get random lockups in Counter-Strike. This happens with any drivers as far back as 3.66. I figured it was an AGP problem since I have an AMD chipset motherboard, but the games run flawlessly in Windows 98. Both Windows 2000 and Windows 98 show AGP running at 2X with sidebanding disabled. Yet, in Windows 98, I can play for hours without a single problem, but in Windows 2000, it'll lock up at some point. Basically, I want to use Windows 2000 exclusively, but this problem drives me crazy. Another thing, games like Aliens vs Predator lock the moment I get into the game and if by some miracle I can get past the opening few seconds, it will definitely lock up within the next 10 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem? My specs are:

AMD Athlon 650

Gigabyte 7IX

160 MB PC100

Xentor 32

Pete

I have the same problem in Counter-strike. My system is:

W2k

celeron 450

abit Bh6

3d blaster TNT2

128mb

mx300

Right now im using the 3.78 release candidate drivers from nvidia.

I've not had any problems...wait. yes I do.

I get a message saying " Cannot connect WSAECONRESET"

my system is a

Win2000Prof(2195)/Win98SE duelboot(98 is dormant)

PIII 500mhz(Pre-CuMine)

160MB RAM(PC100)

Annihilator Pro (overclocked)

Maxtor 30GB 7200 RPM and IBM 13.5 GB 7200 RPM ATA/66 drives

Diamond S90

Memorex 4x2x24 CDRW Pioneer 6x DVD

my machine used to lock up with any graphic intensive games. it drove mte mad for months.

i was using a tnt2 ultra. i discovered the problem months later. the fan on the card had begun to get clogged with dirt and was slowing down gradually. try oiling the fan ( be careful ) and see if thats ur problem.

I also had weird lockups in games. Turns out the problem was the video card(CL Riva TnT2) was over heating, I added a fan off of a AMD K6-2 and that cooled everything down, and now I run 4 fans in the case to cool everything down.

AMD K-7 750

SD11 MB

256 Mg Kingston PC100

CL Riva TnT2

Sb Live! Value

DxR3 Mpeg Decoder Card

Netgear FA310TX Nic

CL 6x Encore DVD Rom

Memorex 2642 CDRW

Ned

Well, all my lockups were solved by completely uninstalling 5.16 and going all the way back to a fresh install of 3.66. frown I lost some performance in it, but at least it's stable. Basically, I think I just need to get away from the AMD 750 series chipset. Maybe a KX133 board is in my future and a brand new Geforce 2 GTS...or perhaps a Voodoo 5 5500. smile I dunno. I just wish there was a better solution.

Pete