Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SeBA

VIO voltage

I want to raise my VIO voltage from 3.5 to 3.8 to get (I hope) more stability on my AsusP5A (ALi V)/G400/SBLive combo.

I have a K6-III 450 MHz and 128MB PC-100.

Is it dangerous or is it doable? I don't want to blow my system up, even though I'm starting to hate it...

Thanks

Seba

SeBa,

At 3.5 V, the voltage is already out of specs!

At 3.8 V you may well overheat or kill part or all your memory chips.

Believe me, the P5A is a piece of s**t.

Sell it or throw it out of the window and get a decent super 7 like the PA2013.

The board is set up for 3.3V but voltage in BIOS says 3.552!!!!

I think this is common for board rev. 1.04 and below.

If I'm going to throw out the P5A I'm NOT going to buy another Super 7 board. This is for sure!

My problem is that I wanted to wait until september and get a win2k fully-compatible Asus K7V board...

Well I guess that I will have to use Win98 till then. But with the new AGP drivers from ALI (0.10 beta) the system is more stable.

The G400 now doesn't crash in 3D mode, but is still sloooow!

WAIT!!!

In my manual, page 15, point 3m it says there is a jumper to switch from 3.5 (default) to 3.6 V. This is for DRAM, chipset, AGP and CPU I/O buffer voltage.

May I try this?

The CPU is running at normal 2.4 V. Also the other voltages are perfect.

I have the manual too and just read it.

I have searched my trash bin to dig out this board and its manual (been there for one year).

Asus says this jumper is for testing purposes only. It should rise the voltage for the dimms.

I think you can try. It should not rise too much since the power supply on this board is quite weak. They knew that. That's why they added this jumper as a last chance solution smile

I have thrown 100$ out of the window when I bought this `@^]" piece of junk frown

Thanks, I will try that later today and let you know what happened (If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, you know why).

I had an Asus SP98AGP-X board which was running rock solid along with a K6 300. Then I screwed up the bios and took the chance (argh!) to buy the 100MHz board (the P5A). It (kind of) worked well until Windows 2000 arrived. Of course I never tried TNT/TNT2/Geforce cards smile

Seba

Well, i did it. Nothing changed. Just crashes. I'm sick of it all. I will go back to Win98 (non-SE, also giving me problems) and keep a fresh win2k on a partition, ready to install new drivers for it as they come out.

Thanks, and bye!