Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fuzz

20.5 Deskstar ignoring ATA/66?

Seems like there is some smart people out there, so I'll give it a try here.

I've just bought a new machine from scratch. ASUS CUBX motherboard, supposedly with two ATA/66 connectors, but my 20.5 GB Deskstar isn't happy at all with those connectors. When connecting (with a ATA/66 cable) the Win2k startup is 23 secs slower compared to running on ATA/33. In addition, my mousepointer jumps around when the HD is spinning.

The motherboard has two ATA/33 and two ATA/66 connections. The only other IDE device connected (to ATA/33) is a Plexwriter 8/4/32 running flawlessly.

Any ideas why my Deskstar wont run on ATA/66?

Thanks in advance...

I have two Maxtor UDMA66 7200 rpm drives on my computer. I too noticed a slower boot time when connected to UDMA66 port (Using the HPT366 on the BE-6). But I ran SiSoft Sandra 2000 and I am getting over 19000 on the drives throughput. UDMA66 is 18000 so I am faster then the average UDMA66. I think when booting up, Windows needs to load extra stuff for UDMA66 controller or something.

Is you mouse sharing the same IRQ as your ATA/66 controller it sounds like it might be conflicting !!!

My IRQ for the mouse is 12, the HD is 9.

I've downloaded Sandra and ran a test on the ATA/66 controller. 4500...no typeo...a tad faster than a EIDE. But when the Deskstar is running on the ATA/33 with the 66 disabled on the BIOS, it gives a performance of 13300 (compared to 13000 on a normal ATA66). To sum up: the disk is great on ATA33, but something's rotten on the ATA66. Did I mention the sound is bugged too when reading from the HD on ATA66? Hmmm....

sounds like you might have an IRQ conflict somewhere have you any hardware sharing IRQ's !!!!

The only IRQ's shared are my PCI connections (GeForce, SBLive, Intel PCI/USB adapter, Accton Ethernet) on IRQ 9 together with Microsoft ACPI-compliant system.

Can't see how this should affect my ATA66 (and Mouse) in any way?

Is ur PC running as ACPI or Standard mode?

I noticed that in ACPI, all my IRQs were messed up...

When I first installed Windows 2000 with ACPI enabled in the BIOS I had all sorts of problems IRQ conflicts I changed it to APM and now my system runs fine and shuts down without having hit the power off button. Now all my hardware has its own IRQ's. Graphics cards, soundcards, modems and network cards are better on there own IRQ's and not shareing some things can share and some cannot !!!

I found out, that the Ultra66 controller shared IRQ 9 with the SBLive, Ethernet etc. The problem (yes, I am a newbie) is that I can't seem to change the IRQ's.

When assigning them each an available IRQ in the BIOS, they are all restored when entering W2K. And in the device manager, the "setting based on" and "use automatic settings" are ghosticons...

I guess that it has something to do with turning off the ACPI and forcing the new IRQ's to be accepted? But how...

The first thing I would suggest is disable ACPI in the bios and see what happens. I changed my bios from ACPI to APM it was ok after that. This seems to be a big problem with ACPI in windows 2000 and IRQ's !!!