Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kux

Dual Monitor

Does win 2000 really work with this topic ?

Seems that way from other posts!.

But i have it working in 98 ! and when i boot 2000, NO matter what i do it wont work ?

Any ideas!

Thx Kux

the 2'nd card is S3-virge375

And your primary card is? What error message are you getting? What exactly happens? Try setting your bios to init first display to PCI to tell windows that your AGP card is your secondary card. Then switch it around in windows.

1'st card is a tnt2-ultra-deluxe

IF i change it in the bios! then wont 98 fu.. up ?.

It just says! unable to start this item !

Could it be that 98 supports the card "virge" BUT not 2000 ?.

Thx

Kux

Win2k does not support S3 cards in multi-monitor mode, even though they will work seperately.

You can check the HCL for cheap cards that will will work in multi-mode.

------------------

The information contained in this post has no nutritional value. I remove myself from all responsibility of the consequences should you print this post and consume it without taking the proper precautions.

Warning: This text best viewed with surround sound.

If you switch the bios settings around your tnt2 will be the 2nd monitor(tnt2 supports dual monitor. The S3 would be doing the main monitor. Then in windows you respecify which is your primary and adjust your setup accordingly. I had this problem with an SIS 620 card(and it did work but sis cards suck ass). I now use a banshee for my secondary monitor. In 98 you can simply reconfigure the setup when you switch it in the bios.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 06 May 2000).]

Thx u guys :-)

Ill try what u said.

I bow for wisdom!

Kux

---------

Have phun

hrm interesting, lemme know if that works out

because i have an tnt2 and an s3 virge 375 and i'd like to run dual monitor also.

what bios setting did you have to play with? changing agp to boot second? but would this affecting games in anyway? like when i play q3 would it run on my tnt2 and 2nd monitor?

thanks

SpaceY

Yes it would run on the second monitor on your tnt2. But actually you would have specified your tnt2 and that monitor to be your primary display in windows display settings. So technically it would be running on your primary. All setting the bios to pci first followed by agp does is tell the tnt2 to take over the secondary monitor capabilites cause windows CAN do it with the tnt2 as second(the tnt2 supports the dual monitor). The other way around says for the S3 to do it but then windows can't do it(as the s3 drivers don't support dual monitor).

S3 Virge Dx/Gx works without prob as second, or first if you like, video card. Win2K has built-in drivers for it.

Boot PCI then refine setup in control panel.

The only problem is that S3 Virge is real super-over-the-average crap and will slooooooow down things frown

I have given up dual display until I find a fast pci card, I wonder which one thu.

I was looking for a decent card to power a second monitor and ran across a tnt2 m64 32meg pci card at buy.com for 66 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick. Not a great card, but for a second monitor, it is fine.

I tried what you said, I set my Virge PCI to load first in the bios and when the computer boots everything is on that monitor. Once I get into Windows, that monitor just stops at the loading screen and my big monitor with the tnt2 activates. When I try to extend my desktop to the Virge monitor it goes black and the system freezes. Both Video cards are using IRQ 11 if thats a problem? The Tnt2 is 16mb using 5.13 Detonators.

http://members.home.com/s.p.a.c.e.y/help.gif

shows my setup...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don't use and S3 card in a multi-mon setup. They're not in the HCL, so any reports to the contrary are just that - reports.

Buy a real card.

oh... phooey. I guess I should. Any recommendations for a cheap PCI card I can use as the 2nd monitor?

Take a look at the HCL first to find out what chipsets are actually supported...

That said, you can get good deals on PCI TNT1 cards...