Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
APV_SAV

Video Card advise please

Dear all,

I have a single head Matrox G400 right now, just received a non ddr GEforce 256 based card as a gift(http://www.powercolor.com.tw) brand name is Power Color wondering should I keep the gift or the G400?

comments are wellcome.

KEEP THE GIFT, and sell the g400 or hell sell both and get a geforce DDR.

Try them both and see which one you like the best I would keep the gforce 256 !!!!

Yep! Sell both and get a GeForce DDR!

That's the best way to go for now.

BTW, I'm not at all enthusiast about the first reviews of GTS and new Voodoos I've read. Neither performances nor the prices are relevant frown

I'll stay stuck with my DDR and shall wait another 6/10 months for next generation, when there is really a significant step done.

Anybody's opinion welcome.

HI, after reading the replies, decided to give the geforce a try, wow, 2D is comparable to my G400 but 3D simply smokes the G400, Quake 3 Arena and Rogue Spear simply run much smoother, most of all the ocassional white lines that appear in both games with the G400 is gone. As for selling both for a DDR, don't think I will, for the power color is the cheapest in town, but the bundle is nice, 2 full games + winDVD + TV out for only $300 Canadian (tax included) around US$200, if I sold both I may buy a ddr but I rather sell the G400 and keep the money :-) for I may not feel the speed increase in my dual Celeron @550, care to comment, anyone?

Yeah! You would definitely see the difference between SDR and DDR if you play 1024x768 in 32-bit.

I have a similar rig and I personally saw the difference when I switched to DDR.

After having played 32-bit, you would not go back to 16.

Thanks for the kind comment, but you see, 1st I may not be able to sell the SDR geforce anywhere near the full amount, since others will consider it as a used card, so even if I sell both card I may not be able to have enough for a DDR, the cheapest here is the ASUS 6800 PURE, but I rather save that money for a few cases of beer instead.

2nd, I don't play that many 3D games and most of all not many are written for 32 bit, so I think I am better off with the SDR for now at least. that was also the reason I didn't get the G400max and go for the G400 instead.

Finally, worse come to worse, I can overclock this SDR, you can't believe that this baby can run at 155/190 for an hour before it crashed. no problem at 150/185.

not wise, simply getting used to life cycle of video card is no more than 6 months. How long has geforce introduced, now you can buy the geforce 2. price of video card is getting more and more expensive and I hated that.