Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ledzeppel

DXR3 with Promise ATA66 Controller card

Off topic but someone please help

My friend and I have spent 4 days trying to get his DXR3 card working under Windows 98SE (I know this seems ridiculous.) This is hardware config:

Coppermine 800EB

Asus P3B-F

128 PC133 Ram

Geforce 256 DDR

Promise ATA66 Controller card

When we tried playing a movie with the dxr3 card it gives us a BSOD (fatal exception in a virtual device driver ~SMART??? and VFAT). We tried different PCI slots for each piece of hardware. We didn't even attempt taking off the Promise card, until we started to give up. After taking off the Promise ATA 66 controller and putting all disks on the onboard IDE controller (motherboard), it WORKED flawlessly. So, then we attempted to put the Promise card back in and put the Main Hard drive and DVD drive on the Promise card. This was unsuccessful; same result, BSOD! I've never had this much trouble with hardware!! And I have the Dxr3 working great on my similar config (minus the Promise ATA66 controler card!) Does anybody have ANY idea why the Promise ATA66 controller card would cause this conflict with the dxr3 card???

Try moving the slot your dxr3 card is in. I had the same problem (before I got my U66). There are some IRQs that the dxr3 really hates. I've had it working on 9 (if you can get it there) pretty well. It shares the IRQ with the sound card, and never had a problem with it.

Fixed it! Got an updated driver for the Promise card. The updated version is 1.43. The original was 1.42. I don't even know if 1.43 is the latest version, but it fixed it none the less. If anyone had/has the same problem, I hope this can be of some reference.

Cheers.