Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tews

Noob needs some advice

Hi!!

Im in the process of downloading the new Madrake Distro. I have been a die hard M$ user since 1.0 However after seeing all of the reviews and coments about Linux, that I felt that I had to give it a shot.

Here's my current config

P4 2.1ghz

Via 4x286 Mobo

365MB DDR 2100 Ram

Nvidia GEforce200mmx Video

AC97 onboard sound

Maxtor 40GB HD

Maxtor 80GB HD

Lite-On Ltr 1610 CDRW

LynkSys LNE100 NIC card

What Id like to know is what problems, if any, will i run into during installation. Any advice to make this switch from M$ to Linux would

be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Thanks in Advance

Tews

to just go for it....

Use a separate pc/hd if you can, so you don't hose your Windows OS.

As for errors...if they happen, they happen..you just cross that bridge when you get to it.

I am sure it will be fine anyways..

gl

Okay...

I downloaded the 3 ISO's and burned them to disk. The installation starts, and goes smoothly until it gets to @16 minutes and then just hangs. I reburned ISO cd1, tryed to reinstall but STILL hangs. If anyone has had the same problem and then succeded with the Install, I would really like to know what you did... As always, any help would really be appreciated! I REALLY want to try this...

Q. Tews

PS. This is driving me crazy!!! :x

You should not have any problems with your hardware. I to have been a devoted user since it first appeared...it was rough at first, but they have certainly earned great respect from many users around the world. I do think that some of the newer packages...Glibc, Gcc, etc..may cause problems with older programs and games. I do know that WineX doesn't like it at all. But this is part of moving on and keeping up with the latest flavors. I installed 9.1 last night and so far.

Followup: I have been seeing people posting about having problems with the installation, not sure why. I would recommend trying a differ mirror site. I got my images from ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-iso/ and everything ran great for me, unlike the betas and RC's.

Have you checked the md5sum of th iso images before burning the corresponding CDs?

At wich step of the installation process does it hang up?